Floor covering advise please..

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Floor covering advise please..

Post by Wozza1985 » 05 Apr 2018, 14:55

Hi I’m having a bit of a nightmare with my outdoor chicken run (not covered). Last year I bought 1 ton of bark chippings yes that was spot in in the summer. Come the winter and now after all the rain it’s just a muddy slop now! So.... my friend can get 850kg if 10mm pea gravel fir £50 delivered. Would This be any better? Obviously after removing the wet mud first.

Thank you

CP

Re: Floor covering advise please..

Post by CP » 08 Apr 2018, 12:06

I was hoping someone with experience of using this might reply but no one has yet. :( :?

I've never used pea gravel but I would guess it's longer lasting then chippings & it would depend on what you put underneath. A membrane would keep the soil from coming to the top, especially as the hens will scratch & dig in the gravel.

As you can get it easily, I would give it a try. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 09 Apr 2018, 16:56

No experience of pea gravel I'm afraid.

I have my coops and 'safe' run area concrete (mainly to be fox proof but also for ease of cleaning) and I cover in straw and hay, then every other day I clean it all up, hose it down and cover again... only a light covering, enough for them to scratch about looking for the grain, snails, worms, treats etc that I chuck in.
I have tried other flooring and it's always ended up a merry mess.... of course when they free range they are all over the place on patio, lawn, flower beds etc....
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

rita2paul

Post by rita2paul » 04 May 2018, 14:02

i have a grass run with shelters, no problem with the rain, another area with gravel and a indoor area with sand, all has been good through this bad spell of rain.