Knowing your stuff?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Knowing your stuff?

Postby Gameboy1980 » 29 Apr 2017, 18:09

We all have to start somewhere and that usually starts at the very bottom of the fountain of knowledge!

We can all go and buy £10-20 bird and not really worry about the quality as most of the time it’s just for egg production.

But what happens when you want to take the next steps and buy your first good quality birds that may have (show quality)? I mean let’s face it, no breeder is ever going to sell you their best birds.
I am just in the progress of looking for my first show quality birds.

I have been told about a chap who has some birds for sale. He is a top breeder so I am sure that he will have some good stock but when they say to you “do you want a £20 pet or I have birds that range between £50 and £250 it’s a little daunting!

As a beginner how can you tell what the difference is? Yes you can study the breed standards but knowing your stuff on the day of purchase is scary stuff, especially when you are potentially handing over hundreds of pounds!

Where do you start? Any advice gratefully received.

GameBoy1980
Gameboy1980

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Knowing your stuff?

Postby kated » 30 Apr 2017, 13:05

Hi Gameboy and welcome

If you want the best you do have to buy from the best. Most breeders will be helpful to beginners in showing and give you advice willingly. If you find a breeder with really good birds, ask him/her if they ever sell eggs and hatch some yourself. That way you are may well get something worthwhile. If that isn't possible then save up and get a really good stock cockerel. The best you can possibly afford. Then buy more mediocre (and therefore cheaper) hens and do your own breeding. You will learn a lot and have a real chance of getting something show-able.

Hope that helps
Kate
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 85 posts

Return to General & Misc