Columbine or cream legbar

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Columbine or cream legbar

Post by Wozza1985 » 07 Sep 2016, 16:27

I'm stuck on what to buy either cream legbar POL or the usual breeder who I buy my hybrids from stocks columbines, and he has even said if they do not lay blue/green eggs he will replace them for hens that do!

What is the difference between them both please?
What you you guys go for?

Thank you

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Re: Columbine or cream legbar

Post by organic chick » 07 Sep 2016, 21:57

Personally I would go for the CLB (we have one) as they are easier to handle and less flighty than the Columbine.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Post by Wozza1985 » 11 Sep 2016, 10:12

I bought 2 crested columbine hens yesterday morning lovely birds, there between 20 & 21 weeks old so a nice size too, they went straight in with my 5 hybrids, much to my surprise there was not much pecking at all just the odd one what was nice to see.
So now I'm just waiting for the what colour eggs they lay, However mark at Harton hens who I normally buy my hens from kindly suggested if any of them lay normal colour eggs he will swop them for another hen if I wanted

roman72

Post by roman72 » 14 Oct 2017, 05:19

I got my first cream legbar in 2013. She began to lay at around 25 weeks and just laid 6 little, small, green eggs, Half of them had no shell and they were dependably on the ground, never in the home box. At that point she quit laying. She was effortlessly just of the most idiotic hens I have had. I at that point supplanted her with 2 chicks and furthermore 2 light blue eggs to bring forth. The 2 chicks began to lay blue eggs at around 22 weeks, They laid medium estimated eggs for a couple of months before ceasing out and out. One of them habitually had thin shelled eggs that were regularly softened up the home in spite of getting clam shells in their eating regimen. The light blue eggs brought forth into decent hens who laid green eggs. Their eggs were substantial to ex-huge and consistantly laid 4-5 seven days for a year. At that point they both quit laying to shed in July and it is presently the finish of March and they haven't laid a solitary egg in around 9 months. My other (non cream legbar) hens are altogether shed and are laying great without any issues. Appears the cream legbars lay for just a brief timeframe. Non have been unconventional, yet they are not the friendliest of the hens either, notwithstanding being taken care of every now and again as chicks. They have been low in the pecking request too. Not certain on the off chance that I will attempt them again since their egg creation time is short.
Roman Erdmann
Works at Sovinco

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 15 Oct 2017, 19:21

I think you have been unlucky with your cream legbars. My daughter keeps them and has no trouble and although she would agree that they are not the friendliest of chickens hers are reliable layers of coloured eggs for 10 months of the year.