Chicken coop cleaner?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chicken coop cleaner?

Postby Wozza1985 » 07 Aug 2016, 20:47

Hi I spotted the dreaded red mite in my coop a few weeks ago so I managed to get hold of 20 litres of 100% traditional creosote from my friend who is a licensed farmer which was lucky, over the past couple of weeks I have completely brush painted the inside apart from the flooring finishing yesterday, up to now I have not seen one single mite thank god so I think it has worked.
Can anybody recommend a a sanitiser/cleaner? I have seen poultry shield and smite for use in my sprayer.
Which of these is recommended?
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 6 posts

Re: Chicken coop cleaner?

Postby kated » 09 Aug 2016, 16:17

Poultry Shield is a disinfectant and won't address a mite problem. Haven't used Smite. Interesting that creosote cured your mites - it had virtually no effect (and I used the real stuff, not the ersatz useless stuff) when I used it. The tried and trusted mite killer is Ficam W, supposed to be for professionals only but if you can get it (and use it carefully) it is the business.

CP likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Wozza1985 » 09 Aug 2016, 17:37

It totally killed off the red mite and now a week later not a single mite in sight! As for the disinfectant I've never used poultry shield so was just wanting to know if that's any good.
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby Wozza1985 » 09 Aug 2016, 17:50

I've never heard about Ficam W, do you just ad it to the 5l sprayer? Do how long til the birds can go back in?
Just in case the creosote eventually fails?

Thanks
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 09 Aug 2016, 18:25

You mix it with water & use a sprayer to apply, just as you would do with Poultry Shield. However, you should wear protective clothing & mask as it's nasty stuff which is why it says for professional use only.
My husband wears one of those disposable overalls, gloves & if there's no hood, an old shower cap - he looks a treat! :lol: He also has a filtered mask he uses for his work too.

Wash the sprayer out well after you've used it, making sure it doesn't go into any streams or rivers. Have a shower afterwards too, to be on the safe side.
It really is the business but it must be used carefully. :!:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Wozza1985 » 09 Aug 2016, 19:53

Thank you, I have seen the sachets for sale in eBay, as for PPE I wore exactly the same when I was creosoting as I had to sit inside the coop while painting, paper overalls with hood, vented mash, goggles and marigolds.

How long before the birds go back in?
How long does it last?
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby kated » 10 Aug 2016, 13:02

Surfaces just have to be dry before the chucks go back. Lasts ages! I couldn't find a sign of mites for the rest of the year after I used it but others have quoted 6 months or so.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Return to General & Misc