ID Tags?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bluebubbles
Chick
Chick

ID Tags?

Post by Bluebubbles » 20 Jun 2016, 21:11

Good evening,

My partner and I have been talking about getting our girls microchipped so that in the unlikely event we have any escapees they can be identified. We are unsure that many people would take a chicken to the vets to be scanned so are also thinking about getting some form of ID tag for their legs.

We have seen them online but they are usually different colours to tell one bird apart form the other in a large flock. We were wondering if anyone knew of a supplier where we could get something similar but with our contact details just in case something happens.

Thanks for your help BB! :newb:

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: ID Tags?

Post by kated » 21 Jun 2016, 10:45

Can't help you with microchipping - I would have thought their skin was too thin and fragile, but I am no expert.

However I have seen wing identity tags with small lightweight dog tags attached which might be the way to go.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 25 Jun 2016, 13:59

I'd Google for pigeon leg tags as they seem to come with various information on them. Another way to go of course would be to get a unique colour for your chickens and alert the local vet in case yours were ever taken in. Good luck.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Bluebubbles
Chick
Chick

Post by Bluebubbles » 02 Jul 2016, 16:29

Thanks for the advice.

We seem to have found a simple solution :-) Leg tags with our address and phone number on them! So simple so I am hoping it works. The girls are in a fully enclosed garden so its unlikely they will ever be needed but its helped my peace of mind.