Pecking Hen

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pecking Hen

Postby Bluebubbles » 23 May 2016, 16:27

Hi,

Let me first say that I wasn't sure about where I should place this question.. so I hope its in the right place.

One of my pullets has taken to pecking over the last couple of days, its only my fingers and doesn't hurt that much, however its getting to the point that when ever I put my hand near her she goes for it. Also my other 2 seem very interested in what she is doing and I'm pretty sure they are going to follow suit. At first she was going for my ring only which isn't an issue but today its been very different. I did paint my nails a dark grey colour last night so its possible she thinks they may be bugs!

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions if it doesn't turn out to be my nails and continues.. I am home all day with them and offer cuddles and sit with them during free range time so I don't think its attention - unless she just wants a bit more than the other 2..

I have added a picture of the offender.. she is so cute and I struggle to tell her off!

Thank you from a very new chicken 'mum' :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluebubbles
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: Pecking Hen

Postby CP » 23 May 2016, 19:08

It may be your nail colour. They tend to peck at new things & also shiny things like rings, as well as food of course.
Hopefully she may get the message soon that your hand isn't for eating! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Re: Pecking Hen

Postby organic chick » 23 May 2016, 21:10

Agree, they go for coloured nails and shiny rings. Try tucking your fingers into a fist shape and approaching her slowly then when she accepts that try a stroke.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Return to General & Misc