Vaccinating

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hertfordshirehens

Vaccinating

Post by Hertfordshirehens » 31 Mar 2016, 09:18

Morning all,

I'm a breeder based in Hertfordshire on a local farm. We have flock of chickens 100+ all fully vaccinated from our supplier.

We have begun breeding and in two weeks, we should have 60+ chicks to enter our brooder.

I've read a lot of articles about Vaccinating and not Vaccinating your hens but I'm 100% towards providing healthy hens, so will be vaccinating.

Question is, where do i buy the spray's or medicines to add to there drinking water? Also is their an alternative to the injection for Merek's disease?

Do i need to get these services/products from a qualified veterinary practice? I cant seem to find much online.

Day 1 Mareks & turkey herpes virus,
Day 8 Salmonella
Day 18 Bursal diseaase, Bronchitus M41
Day 28 Bursal disease, Newcastle disease
Day 35 Salmonella, Bronchitus 793B
Day 42 Newcastle disease, Bronchitus M41
Day 45 Mycoplasma Galisepticum
Day 52 Infectious Laryngotracheitis
Day 63 Bronchitus 274
Day 77 Turkey Rhinotracheitis
Day 91 Avian encephalomyelitis

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jonny

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vaccinating

Post by MamaOwl » 10 May 2016, 10:29

bumping for attention
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: Vaccinating

Post by laffinfowl » 13 May 2016, 21:15

This debate has come up plenty of times on here over the years,the genral consensus being that for the hobby or backyard breder it is not financially viable to go this route and also issues can be had by mixing vaccinate and unvaccinated stock.
Best option for you would be to join a local poultry club as thy sometimes buy in batches and split the cost between members,as far as i know these batches are sold in big numbers to clubs and once opene have to be used within 24 hours hence the sharing between members,other issues that may arise are ages for vaccination,most commercial hatcheries do it at day old to protect against 4 or 5 main diseases or conditions.
For more info type vaccinations,vaccinating tc into the search engine on here,top right hand corner of the home page.