white sussex x silkie have I been duped?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

white sussex x silkie have I been duped?

Postby lifeflower » 18 Jan 2016, 08:52

At market last week a bought a pair - being a white sussex cock and a gold silkie hen, on the basis that they would produce the beautiful gold tops seen in the next cage. Now I have looked on the internet it seems that Gold tops are produced through crossing a white silkie cock with a white sussex hen.
Whoops - now I'm feeling a bit stupid.
Will my pair produce anything and why can i only find info on the other way of crossing. They are both very beautiful. Help please! Embarrassed
lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: white sussex x silkie have I been duped?

Postby laffinfowl » 18 Jan 2016, 13:05

Unless the seller has discovered a new way of producing Gold Tops then yes you have been duped.
Its always been Gold silkie cock x white/light sussex hen as far as i know though in truth i,ve never bred them myself.
The Gold over Silver cross would give you gold to brown chicks = pullets and light yellow to white chicks = cockerels,meaning you could cull off males at a day old to leave you with all pullets to be used as broodies when older.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Return to General & Misc