Broody chicken, shall i coop her elsewhere, take her eggs?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Broody chicken, shall i coop her elsewhere, take her eggs?

Postby lifeflower » 05 Dec 2015, 09:01

Hi all,

Well I thought we had lost a chicken, one day about 2 weeks ago one of our gold wyandottes went missing, she didn't come back at night and I was a bit puzzled. Then about 4 days later she turned up in the morning very talkative and looking very hungry but then disappeared again to turn up today. I wondered if she'd found a better home elsewhere as I'd looked everywhere for a hiding spot for her, but on 5 acres it was a bit pointless. When she turned up today and took off just as fast, I followed her and am pleased that I found her hiding spot, or brooding spot should I call it. tra cứu thông tin doanh nghiệp Up until she went missing she hadn't laid an egg that I know of, I think she went from pullet to broody. She's sitting on 14 eggs of which I think would be all she has ever laid.

I have an enclosure with a roof that I can put her in the day, I guess at night too if I wanted although it doesn't have solid walls, just chicken wire. This would be to break her broodiness, or should I take advantage and buy her in a few eggs to hatch. Her spot isn't the best for chicks. It's amongst the agapantha bushes but right where our driveway forks, so we'd be driving past her chicks often if I let her stay there to hatch. Yes I'd been walking and driving past her for weeks now none the wiser - she was hidden nicely. Or could I put her in the enclosure with eggs to hatch in there. I have some hay I can put in there so she can keep herself warm at night. After all she hasn't been returning to the coop now for a few weeks. If I do source her some fertile eggs, to I need to take anything else into consideration other than some chick food?

Any thoughts?

Also if I was to get some eggs I was thinking of ordering some off heritage farms out west Auckland. Is that a good place as any for Auckland supply?

Cheeky chicken straight to broody!
Last edited by lifeflower on 26 Aug 2016, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Broody chicken, shall i coop her elsewhere, take her egg

Postby phoebe » 05 Dec 2015, 15:12

It is not advisable to try to hatch chicks at this time of the year, especially if you have not got proper accommodation for them and their mother. It will be difficult to find fertile eggs at this time of the year. If your hen is broody she will not have been eating properly and will need to eat and recover so that she can cope with winter weather.

The spring is the ideal time of year to hatch chicks so it would be a good idea to read up as much as possible through the winter so that you can provide suitable accommodation and equipment and are not caught out if she suddenly decides to go broody again in the spring. She will need protection from the weather and predators for a successful hatch.
phoebe
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Fast Farmer » 06 Dec 2015, 11:12

Lifeflower refers to Auckland in her post, if its Auckland New Zealand its now summer time.

If you move her to alternative housing and lock her up it may well break her broody mood, she wont necessarily adopt a new set of hatching eggs placed elsewhere. Predator dependant why not just replace the eggs with a smaller batch of fertiles where she is right now............and place a "Beware Hen and Chicks" warning sign to drivers ! :lol:
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Henwife » 07 Dec 2015, 08:23

Fast Farmer has a point about whether this is northern or southern hemisphere, but as the hen has alredy been sitting for two weeks on infertile eggs, I wouldn't be inclined to subject her to a further three weeks on a fresh set. However, wyandottes are brilliant sitters and mothers, so break her brood this time around, but see she is ringed so that you know she'll make a good sitter at a more convenient time (and think of getting a wyandotte cockerel).
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby tamsenvn » 04 Sep 2016, 10:44

The spring is the ideal time of year to hatch chicks so it would be a good idea to read up as much as possible through the winter so that you can provide suitable accommodation and equipment and are not caught out if she suddenly decides to go broody again in the spring.
tamsenvn
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Return to General & Misc