my worst chicken year.

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

my worst chicken year.

Postby lifeflower » 10 Nov 2015, 09:28

It started with 10 hatched silver laced polish. They all got signs of paralysis and no depth perception one by one until they were all gone. I really knew I had Marek's then.
8 months later someone sent me her very first Crele Polish eggs, 8 of them. 1 I injured with the Marek's vaccine I most likely hit his spine. 7 went out to a pen at 8 weeks. There were 5 more I hatched from someone else. And a gold laced (crele) Polish, and 4 Houdans.
One got paralysis and was so sweet that I kept her in my bedroom. 3 died overnight from suspected enteritis. 3 died from a one-eye
infection.
So that's 8+5+1+3. 17. Hatched, 14 dead.
1 from a marek's vaccine spinal injury
-3 from suspected enteritis
-0 one pullet has paralysis but recovers after 6 weeks.
-3 from a one-eye infection
-2 Houdan roos who crowed non stop all day all night were rehomed to someone for chicken dinner. (Marek's okay rehoming)
-1 just flipped over dead as I watched
-3 from racoon
-1 wasted away.

I have a roo and 2 hens left from that batch . Most of the rest died within a year, and 10 Polish chicks the year before.

All vaccinated except the first 10 a year before. No one really died from Marek's after the initial 10, but most probably from Marek's related immunosuppression and opportunistic microbes.

THat was the year from hell, my husband bought me a new ax and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

THis year is coming close for other reasons. Some understandable sortof.
:meoww
lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: my worst chicken year.

Postby Henwife » 10 Nov 2015, 21:24

I've had bad years in the past, but never anything quite like that. I can only suggest that you go for something pretty standard next year in the hope that they are resistant to everything that gets thrown at them. I'm thinking bantam Sussex or Leghorn - lots of lovely colours and as tough as old boots. Don't lose heart.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 10 Nov 2015, 23:15

I was going to say the same thing, I don't think I could cope with what you have been through, but I'd change my luck by going for something uncomplicated breedwise. Like you, I've kept polands, great characters and maybe I've been lucky but I've only lost 2 not down to old age, but I've also had orps (can be susceptible to mareks, though its not common) and sussex (bombproof). Other breeds which are pretty robust include dottes, RIR, welsummers and plymouth rocks. Another trick is to buy stock which has been through its first moult, you have a greater chance that it won't succumb to the unknown. Good luck :grin:

Henwife likes this post.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby tamsenvn » 11 Jul 2016, 15:44

Like you, I've kept polands, great characters and maybe I've been lucky but I've only lost 2 not down to old age, but I've also had orps (can be susceptible to mareks, though its not common) and sussex (bombproof). Other breeds which are pretty robust include dottes, RIR, welsummers and plymouth rocks. Another trick is to buy stock which has been through its first moult, you have a greater chance that it won't succumb to the unknown. Good luck
Last edited by CP on 12 Jul 2016, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed
tamsenvn
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby tamsenvn » 14 Jul 2016, 15:50

THat was the year from hell, my husband bought me a new ax and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Last edited by CP on 15 Jul 2016, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed
tamsenvn
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Return to General & Misc