Removing broody from chicks - How do I do it and when?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Removing broody from chicks - How do I do it and when?

Postby lifeflower » 13 Aug 2015, 05:06

I'm back again, this time for your font of knowledge on when to send my broody back to the other two adults.
My four chicks will be six weeks old on Tuesday and although pretty independent during the day, (especially the boys), still come running at mums call and tuck up under her every night and also for naps during the day. Mum is more than happy for this to happen and is still watching out for them during the day and not showing signs of ignoring them or trying to get away.
When mum returns to the other two adults, she will still be within sight and sound of the chicks and also has the added issue that both the other two (silly idiot) adults are broody I try to keep the broody adults locked downstairs and they've had a good look at Tak and the chicks over the last week. They seem pretty laid back with the chicks and Mum digging around in the wood chip just outside the main coop. The chicks and mum have had the run of the garden over the last few weeks, with the broodys locked in the main coop. I cannot move the chicks run any further away from the adults as all within an electric fence and have foxes very close. (giàn phơi thông minh)
Removing broody from chicks - How do I do it and when? - General Chicken Discussion
When should I remove mum, should I do it at night (as you would when introducing new chickens) and is there going to be fireworks as I'm introducing lone chicken to a flock, or with chicks and mum desperately trying to get back to each other as they are within sight?
lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Removing broody from chicks - How do I do it and when?

Postby ladyplumber » 17 Aug 2015, 00:52

I'd just suck it and see. No need to seperate the hen from the chicks, she will do that herself when she's had enough.

When you merge them (as a family and not separated), just make sure you keep an eye on them for the full day, so that you can intervene if need be. If the two broodies can see the family pottering about already, then that will help - although when they're broody they're virtually in a trance and oblivious to what's going on around them.

Have a small plant sprayer handy on the day, and if there's any shennanigans just squirt the offender with a jet of water - they'll soon get the message :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Moriarty » 19 Aug 2015, 09:13

You'll find that eventually mum will start rejecting the chicks and they'll do their own thing. I kept mum and chicks separated from the flock for about six weeks although within sight. Eventually I'd let them out to forage on the grass and mum was very protective and flew at any hen that came close. Eventually as the chicks got more confident and wandered off, and mum let them go, they just seemed to merge with the group. The sole cockerel by the way was an excellent father, wandered with his babies and kept an eye on them. As long as there are plenty of food bowls and water bowls then you shouldn't have a problem ... the main fights are usually about food so I had about eight bowls dotted a good distance apart from each other.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Henwife » 19 Aug 2015, 09:37

Hen will sort out when she's had enough of her chicks. Personally I'd see she has her coop in the main run without any additional fencing. If the others try anything on, believe me, a furious mother hen will attack with surprising ferocity. If you want them all to live together, start young. If not, the chicks need to be out of sight and sound of their mother or you're going to have some stressed and frantic birds.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby tamsenvn » 11 Jul 2016, 15:24

Eventually I'd let them out to forage on the grass and mum was very protective and flew at any hen that came close. Eventually as the chicks got more confident and wandered off, and mum let them go, they just seemed to merge with the group. The sole cockerel by the way was an excellent father, wandered with his babies and kept an eye on them. As long as there are plenty of food bowls and water bowls then you shouldn't have a problem ... the main fights are usually about food so I had about eight bowls dotted a good distance apart from each other.
Last edited by CP on 12 Jul 2016, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed
tamsenvn
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Return to General & Misc