Poultry saddles?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Poultry saddles?

Post by brooksidepoultry » 13 Apr 2015, 11:06

With LF breeds like orpingtons - I have 4 at present do I need a poultry saddle - he is clearly treading the 1 & I don't wan't the females damaged, has anyone used them?
A country lass who loves it all x.

ladyplumber

Re: Poultry saddles?

Post by ladyplumber » 13 Apr 2015, 12:58

I haven't used them myself, but if he seems to be favouring one hen I definitely would think about getting one. From what I've read about them, it's very important to get the right size for the breed though, and being Orpingtons obviously the biggest would be the one to get. I think they're cheaper on ebay than from the poultry gear suppliers tho. :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Apr 2015, 09:29

if you have any pair of old jeans or trouser you could make them yourself in no time and you can just throw them away when worn and used and make more. Just measure the back of your bird from base of neck to base of tail, cut that lenght of the bottom of the trousers ( if there is a heavy seam cut that off first before you measure). Tack or sew(if your clever) the bottom end together at the top end measure about 1 and a 1/2 inch down each side and cut into middle leaving a 1in piece in the middle this should leave flap at the top now tack or sew the top of that flap and tack or sew all the way across where you cut earlier you should now have a flap that forms a loop at the top now cut a piece of knicker elastic and tack onto the top edge of your saddle feed through the loop at the top and tack to the other side, the elastic needs to be as short as possible but remember you need to get your birds wings through the loops. :thumbright:
Method 2..... look at a poultry saddle on the web measure your bird cut to the size of your bird and same shape as your pic fix the elastic sew ends together. :thumbright:
method 3..... for a thinner saddle a single piece of cloth just double the lenght of the flap and fold over to form the loop and fix on the elastic :thumbright:

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 14 Apr 2015, 09:52

.......... It's the advanced, Blue Peter master class in poultry accoutrements. Or you could just buy one and go for a drink! :grin: :grin: :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Apr 2015, 17:04

The missus did all that. I did go for the drink :lol: plus if I had bought them I would not be able to afford the drink :drunken:

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Apr 2015, 17:08

on a more serious note dont keep the saddles on to long as the lice and mites love em as your birds cannot preen and clean the feathers on their backs :( .