Cockerel bullying one hen!

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Moriarty

Cockerel bullying one hen!

Post by Moriarty » 03 Apr 2015, 07:12

My turkeyneck Roger is an amorous cockerel and rogers everything that moves and he has 8 hens in his flock. However some months ago one of the hens moulted and he was very aggressive to her ... I asked on here and the advice was that he might be thinking that, without her feathers, she was a 'he' and a rival cockerel. But since she's grown her feathers back and is back in lay, he's still aggressive to just her. Chases her off the food, and tries to prevent her getting any even if I put out several bowls a good distance apart ... he'll still watch for where she is and chase her away. So she hangs about on the outside of the group. He hasn't physically attacked her, apart from a good pecking if she tries to eat with the group. They all freerange so there's plenty of space but she's now taken to sleeping in a different coop .... he won't let her go in the communal one.
Not sure what's going on here. All advice appreciated.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Re: Cockerel bullying one hen!

Post by Hen-Gen » 03 Apr 2015, 08:16

Have to admit that this is outwith my experience. Normally cocks are very accepting of any hen. Only two possible explanations spring to mind:-

1) He senses that she has some defect that would render her disadvantageous as a potential breeder. Birds are often ruthless in their persecution of those with genetic defects.
2) For some reason she gives out some signal that confuses him as to her sex. Inter sexuality is not uncommon in birds and animals.

Bit of a mystery.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Moriarty

Re: Cockerel bullying one hen!

Post by Moriarty » 03 Apr 2015, 09:22

Thans Hen-Gen. The only other thing might be that she is a turkey neck hen, and all the other hens are normal brown picture-postcard hens. Plus she is much larger than them. However, before she moulted they were all together as a group, and Roger treated her as the rest. It's since the moult and since she grew back. But the other hens aren't treating her differently. And her eggs are fine. The problem is in him!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..