Bluebelle hybrids? Yeah or Nay?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Bluebelle hybrids? Yeah or Nay?

Post by PixieDust » 01 Oct 2014, 17:53

On another chicken forum I sometimes visit I am being told not to get a Bluebell as they are noisy, nasty and in their words, thick.

True or not?

I am also looking at a Black Copper Maran hybrid instead of the Black Star. Any thoughts?
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Bluebelle hybrids? Yeah or Nay?

Post by jillychick » 01 Oct 2014, 19:01

In all honesty I had a bad experience with a bluebell buttttt that doesn't mean they are all bad. It's like all species( including us) there are good and bad personalities. I have 2 Copper marans they are lovely and lay nice dark brown eggs. But someone else might have had a bad experience with them? Personally I think most of the hybrids are a bit highly strung but thats just my oppinion, you just don't know till they settle in and show there true colours they are all very different.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 01 Oct 2014, 19:06

This is what I was thinking. I have also seen people saying they are very sweet and placid. I dunno. I guess I shall just decide on the day. I will keep researching.

Thanks. :)
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 01 Oct 2014, 23:01

I've had 2 and I've found them to be lovely. Bettyboo used to lay double yolkers for the first year.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 01 Oct 2014, 23:11

Thanks Lily. If they were all terrible then no-one would buy them, would they?

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 02 Oct 2014, 08:24

Of all the hybrids, my favourites were Columbian Blacktails - probably your bog standard brown hybrid with a fancy name, but they laid lots of mid brown eggs, were placid, almost silent and frugal feeders. I've never really bothered about hybrid shell colour as I only eat the contents.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 02 Oct 2014, 08:29

Neither am I. I just like the colour of the chickens :grin:

Just to add I will be getting a Columbian Blacktail as I think they are also very pretty.

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 02 Oct 2014, 08:57

My favourites are black rocks, so friendly and good layers. I've found CBT's flighty. But as jillychick says they're all different. The warrens again are very good all-rounders friendly good layers pretty and inquisitive ....a good basic hen.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 02 Oct 2014, 13:24

Just to add a bit about c/ back tails my 2 are a pain in the butt. One has laying issues the other is the loudest gobby hen out of all of them! It's really luck of the draw what you get when choosing hybrids, I've only keep hybrids up to yet but will eventually move on to some pure breeds. It will be interesting to see if the pure breeds behave true to type?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 02 Oct 2014, 15:54

I've had a pair of Brahma, my all time favourite pure breed. So gentle, just lost Max day before yesterday. Buffy was always so concerned with everything. When we had our kitten she followed him everywhere gazing at him with her head to one side. Really miss the both of them.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 02 Oct 2014, 21:09

ohhh Lily how sad (hugsxx)i like the Brahmas the gentle giants of the hen world, will you have some more?

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 02 Oct 2014, 22:54

Hubby wants a rest from keeping chickens for a while. If I can find someone near me who boards hens then yes I will.
Only Bettyboo bluebell left now. :-(

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 03 Oct 2014, 09:36

Oh that's sad news Lily.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 03 Oct 2014, 16:58

Interesting discussion. I'd say that firstly within any breed there is going to be variation according to how the birds are kept and/or formative experiences in their early months. But I'd also say that breeds vary. The Mediterranean breeds, eg Leghorns, Andalusians etc are generally flightier than the Asiatic breeds. So it follows that hybrids with Leghorns as one of the parents would probably be flightier than those without a leghorn parent, ON AVERAGE.
If you have nothing
Give it away

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 03 Oct 2014, 21:37

I'll second that hengen leg horns are by far the most highly strung flighty birds out of my bunch. I've often wondered if the theory regarding the Rhode Island Red being an aggressive breed in general has a major factor in the behaviour of hybrids as most if not all are RIR cross something?
I find the subject really interesting. I've recently culled 3 cockerals who were quite feisty and aggressive which resembled the RIR farther the one remaining cockeral is a real softie and resembles his Light sussex mother. They were hatched and reared together in the same pen/ conditions but are complete opposites in personality I agree a really interesting subject