Ficam w

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Ficam w

Post by Miss Chooks » 08 Aug 2014, 11:46

Hello, I am getting 4 new chickens in a couple of weeks :grin: and converted a shed into a coop. I have creosoted inside and out and I have the relevant powders at the ready (ant & DE) I have been reading up on Ficam W and was wondering if this is something else I should use. Is this sprayed on a weekly/monthly/yearly basis? (I have looked at the topics on here and it seems it can be used yearly or frequently) How long after can the girls go back into the coop after spraying? Prevention is the key I think, I have never had a problem with red-mite previously when I have had chickens.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Ficam w

Post by kated » 08 Aug 2014, 12:15

Ficam W is good stuff but it is very toxic. Personally, I would only use it if I had an outbreak, otherwise go with what you have. If you do need to use it, as long as the surfaces are dry to the touch after spraying you are safe to put your hens back. If you use it, your henhouse should be mite free for at least a few months, some say as long as 6 -8 months. When using it wear gloves and a mask and dispose of any leftovers very carefully, not near a watercourse. I put mine in the bonfire barrel.

subruss

Post by subruss » 08 Aug 2014, 13:03

As above don't use until you have too, but once you have had a outbreak of red mite it does the job, I spray twice a year but only a fortnight between each spraying and I get no more infestations of anything until next spring, 1 sachet makes 5ltrs and that covers a very large area so I spray my shed and any other wooden structure in the area. One other plus side its the stuff that is used to clear house infestations ie: dog and cat fleas and bed bugs etc. Downside its toxic so follow instructions and consider the environment when using THINK BEFORE YOU SPRAY. :thumbright:

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 08 Aug 2014, 13:47

Thank you for the advice, I won't bother spraying, hopefully never need to but if needs must.

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 09 Aug 2014, 15:38

for how long does the ficam remain active once you mix with water please?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 10 Aug 2014, 16:34

I don't fully know the answer but I seem to remember the packet saying dispose of leftovers immediately - but of course that could be good for sales but unnecessary. I would imagine you could use the mix up to 3 or 4 days later but you'd have to check the label and if that doesn't say check with the manufacturer.
The unmade up powder has a shelf life of 3 years.

bradesbounty

Post by bradesbounty » 12 Aug 2014, 16:58

ANY- BODY WHO IS INTERESTED i am a retired gamekeeper i have large amounts of chemicals left over I have Ficam W 80%wp also a fantastic alternative PURE FLOWERS OF SULPHUR both chemicals are great for fumigation in cabins for flies mites scabies mange also used on dogs horses for mud fever email me for details keeperjbb@gmail.com

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 13 Aug 2014, 10:11

Lily wrote:for how long does the ficam remain active once you mix with water please?
I was going to ask the same question,has anyone actually stored it for a certain amount of time and still found it effective when used ?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 13 Aug 2014, 10:50

Yes, me.

I stored some in a 2 litre plastic milk bottle in my shed. Although it's turned a very dark shade of grey, I used it a month or so ago to nuke the growers shed, and haven't seen a red-mite since. I have also done a precautionary sweep of the main chicken and duck coops and no sign in either of them too (the growers are now in the main coop).

That was mixed up in January when I used it to de-flea the house.

Can't say for certain it's as effective as when originally mixed, but the evidence is there to be seen. Or not seen as the case may be :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.