Squatting (and my new hybrids and there new home)

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Squatting (and my new hybrids and there new home)

Postby Wozza1985 » 05 May 2014, 11:22

Hi I have finely bought my 4 hybrid hens .
Ranger
Rhode rock (laying)
Coucouo (think that's how you spell it?)
Bluebell

3 of them are coming up 24 week old and my laying rhode rock is 26 week old.
My laying rhode rock and my ranger does like a squat with there wings up?
Allowing me to pick them up with ease? Why do they do this also it's only them 2 hens that do it?
However the ranger comb is looking bigger/redder than the rest of the girls.

Thank you
Last edited by Wozza1985 on 05 May 2014, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 6 posts

Re: Squatting??

Postby 3441sussex » 05 May 2014, 11:42

Hi

Hens squat when they are in lay. As you say the Rhode rock is laying and I imagine that the Ranger is about to start laying any day.
3441sussex
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Wozza1985 » 05 May 2014, 11:44

I see yeahs rhode rock is laying, so my ranger could lay any day? Soooo excited!! Are hybrid rangers good layers? Are they brown eggs?
How very addictive and entertaining is keeping hens I'm hooked lol
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 05 May 2014, 12:43

Wozza1985 wrote:How very addictive and entertaining is keeping hens I'm hooked lol

Yep that's how it starts. Are you thinking bigger run, more hens yet? because you soon will be :grin: this time next year you will want to be hatching eggs :lol:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby Wozza1985 » 05 May 2014, 13:14

Hi I have built a 10 metre run so with a large perch and a cd on string, dust bath etc..
Lots of layers pellets and plenty of water,
And lots of grass/weeds
Last edited by Wozza1985 on 05 May 2014, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

My new hens and setup (pic heavy)

Postby Wozza1985 » 05 May 2014, 13:41

Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Re: Squatting (and my new hybrids and there new home)

Postby Mayhen » 05 May 2014, 18:28

Sometimes hens 'squat' like that if you put your hand over their back. I think it's got something to do with the pecking order, because you will be the top of their pecking order and they do this to show you that you are still the dominant 'bird'! Birds lower in the pecking order may do it to a more dominant bird if it pecks them too.
Very sorry for saying pecking order so much;)

You have a lovely set up and some lovely birds:)

Mayhen
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell
Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Wozza1985 » 05 May 2014, 20:28

Thank you, I used a pretty simple idea on pvc coated wire fencing and metal stakes, works well and is pretty sturdy.
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 06 May 2014, 13:14

My Grandparents used to say Hens squat to let the Rooster on.... It's a sign of subservience and readiness to mate.

When mine do it I give them a quick pet on the back and take advantage of the fact they agree I am in charge... lol
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby drfish » 06 May 2014, 16:34

Yeah, it is mainly submissive, as if to say "you're the top cock, climb aboard". It's endearing, yet slightly disturbing at the same time.

If you give their backs a good rub, they'll do a little 'shimmy' for you afterwards :naughty Much like when they've been violated by a real cockerel :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ladyplumber likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Wozza1985 » 06 May 2014, 16:47

Quick update my ginger hen laid her first small egg at 9am this morning!!

jillychick likes this post.
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 06 May 2014, 17:02

Way to go wozza =D>
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Wozza1985 » 06 May 2014, 17:39

Just my coucou and my bluebelle next to lay?
Yeah my ginger laid at 9am then my rhode rock laid at 12 pm, how very rewarding is that!!
Great feeling,
What type if eggs do rangers lay? As I know it's her egg was tiny! And will she lay 1 per day?

Thanks guys
Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Postby jillychick » 06 May 2014, 17:49

The eggs are small when they first start to lay, they get bigger as the hens mature. You wait till next year when They really start producing whoppers. The second year is the best laying year for hybrids, I'm not sure what colour eggs rangers lay. But I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.
Ps they should lay well for you during the winter as well, mine did well for there first winter :grin:
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Mayhen » 06 May 2014, 19:36

=D>
I got two 16/17-week old hybrids, a gingernut ranger and a black rock (or rhode rock - same breed!) a few weeks ago and the black rock (Pudding) laid her first egg today too:D the gingernut ranger (Ginger Rogers) has been laying for a while but her eggs are still small. You can expect about 300 eggs a year for the first few years from Gingernut Rangers, so lots of eggs even in winter:)
Funny the little eggs the hybrids are laying so far, they are the same size as my bantam eggs!! :lol:
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell
Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Next

Return to General & Misc