BioDry/Omlet

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

ilovemychickens

BioDry/Omlet

Post by ilovemychickens » 15 May 2013, 19:49

Any of you experienced chicken keepers able to help? We have recently purchased an Omlet coop and run and 3 gorgeous hens! How have I lived so long without chickens?! The whole family adore them and they keep us highly entertained. Anyway, we have wood chipped the run which is where the hens have access to if we are out. The rest of the time we have penned off a whole area for them which they love. Noticed that the ground is getting a bit whiffy and even their coop although I change the droppings tray weekly and poo pick every 2/3 days. I ordered some Biodry which I read can help with the smell and sanitize the ground but I had a couple of questions:

Should I I sprinkle this in ALL run areas or only the wood chipped area?
Should I sprinkle this in the droppings tray as I'm presuming it reacts with the droppings as they hit the tray?
My main concern is if I sprinkle this on the ground and the wood chipped area that they may end up eating it? I know it says its not harmful but it is a disinfectant after all and I'm not confident that this would be good for the chickens or for us egg eaters!

Can anyone advise? Thank you.