What breed

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

What breed

Postby Hawthorn » 08 Aug 2011, 14:00

Hi could anyone tell me what breed he may be, he is only about 4 weeks old. I got given 3 chicks supposedly 2 boys and a girl, the girl is a light Sussex but haven't a clue what breed the boys are. Anybody help me please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawthorn

Liked in: 1 post

Re: What breed

Postby podstable » 08 Aug 2011, 19:18

Hi Hawthorn--lucky you being given yhose pretty chicks! To me ,the light Sussex type is the most boyish looking but they are very young yet, he just seems to have quite a big comb thats already looking pinkish. The others could be Lt. Sussex X Warren type? Possibly girls but again early to tell. Do you know if they had the same parents? Could be you may be able to sex them by colouring?? I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to give an answer. Enjoy them! Ros
podstable

Postby Henwife » 08 Aug 2011, 20:44

Light sussex type looks to be female - the two others are cross breeds of some sort, but male anyway. Just consider them as two dinners and the breakfast egger and have fun rearing them.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Hawthorn » 08 Aug 2011, 21:35

Hi thanks for replying, no the light sussex came from a different batch of eggs than the two unknown breed and a week older,positive it is female. im new to keeping chicks so all knowledge is helpful, well i was told they were both boys but now one of the combs is much redder than the other so maybe only one of them are male, But breed of them, the person who i got them off didn't know either, just told they were both boys, hopeless or what !! well i love them anyway just would really love to know what they are xx
Hawthorn

Postby Pegasus » 08 Aug 2011, 21:45

They are indeed lovely looking chicks, but identifying the breed will be easier when they are a little older. At only four weeks old, their feathers and colours are still coming through. Enjoy them! :grin:
Pegasus

Return to General & Misc