Cuddle cushions

Moderator: Moderators

Cuddle cushions

Postby jaydee67 » 24 Mar 2013, 12:32

A friend who became a single parent to 3 children last year when her husband left her is having a tough time just now - as well as being a single parent, she has just found out her daughter (11) has gall stones and an inflamed gall bladder that needs to come out - other tests pending to see why she is having other symptoms and her oldest son (9) has spina bifida occulta which is giving him back pain and he may have to have an operation to remove some calcification on his spine. Surgery for both means going to Aberdeen, not easy to do when you have other children at home!

I am making cuddle cushions for all 3 children (and mum) with the idea that if one child is going away, everyone staying home with granny/ dad hugs that child's cushion so they take hugs away with them and the children staying home get their cushion hugged by the child going and mum so they have hugs is they need them too! I am intending putting a pocket on the back for a photo of all 4 of them. I am going to be away for the Easter holidays and there is a chance the daughter will have her op in that time so I have to do this soon! All 3 will have patchwork fronts and fleece backs.

Top left for a 6 year old boy who likes red and green and blue (and any other colour really but not grey, brown or black or light brown ...)
Top right for a 9year old boy who like blue and green and purple
Bottom left for an 11 year old girl who likes purple
Bottom right for mum with elements of all 3 children's cushions.
Every cushion has a bit of the blue/purple fabric in it too linking them all together.

CP likes this post.
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Re: Cuddle cushions

Postby kated » 24 Mar 2013, 15:33

A lovely idea - and a thoughtful present. Some people do seem to have way more than their fair share of obstacles and tragedies.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby NannyP » 24 Mar 2013, 18:35

Such a lovely idea and I know there are cynics who will not see how important these symbols of loved ones will be.

You're so thoughtful xx
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 24 Mar 2013, 19:03

A lovely thought Julia . Please send her our best wishes =D>
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Moriarty » 25 Mar 2013, 07:39

What a lovely lovely idea, I've never heard of this before and can see how these will become invaluable in a family. I just love the idea of a child cuddling a cushion that's been cuddled by someone dear ... what a lovely gesture. Well done! they are beautiful!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jaydee67 » 25 Mar 2013, 19:44

Never heard of it before either but hope it may give someone else an idea to use. Delivered them today and the first hugs were for me! :D The older children's cushions disappeared off to their rooms with them and the wee one carried his around with him. I took a quick photo this morning of the family plus dogs when I picked the kids up for school, got this printed, laminated and into the pockets of the cushions before giving them out. The 6 year old declared 'Look! We're in the cushion!' Even the dogs and the cat were being made to hug the cushions! lol!
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby NCOTB » 26 Mar 2013, 02:51

What a lovely idea! :thumbright:

please pass on our best wishes to your friend.
NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 10 posts

Return to Crafters Corner