Blowing eggs

Moderator: Moderators

Blowing eggs

Postby Woodland Hen » 21 Mar 2013, 14:38

Hi All,

Whats the best way to make holes in eggs to blow them? I want to decorate some for an Easter Tree, we used to do this as kindergarten when I was about 5 in germany, but I haven't done it since. Tried this morning using a braddle but it is cracking around the holes.

Any ideas welcome!
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Re: Blowing eggs

Postby drfish » 21 Mar 2013, 15:54

My granny always used to use a screw, with a bit of sticky tape over the hole area. Dunno if this is the best way, but it worked for her. Bit like drilling a tile I suppose.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Garvie92 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:14

we always used sticky tape and a needle or a tiny drill bit
3 Black Rocks , 1 ISA Brown , 1 silkie cross , 3 Exchequer leghorns hens, Exchequer leghorn cock , 2 Orpington hen , 1 bantam Barred Rock hen and 4 dogs :)
Garvie92
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby iwilson » 21 Mar 2013, 20:07

a darning needle .... works everytime :)
iwilson

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Henwife » 22 Mar 2013, 08:19

Stick the eye end of the needle into a cork, it gives far better control of pressure. I always pierce the fat end of an egg before boiling so it doesn't crack, and have been doing it this way for years. Don't forget to break the yolk before blowing, or it won't work! It's easier to hard boil the eggs and then decorate.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Woodland Hen » 25 Mar 2013, 14:43

Thanks all. Bit of tape on the end while you make the holes seems to have done the trick.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby drfish » 25 Mar 2013, 17:08

And a worthwhile DIY tip for tile drilling ;)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby URCHIN » 29 Jul 2013, 00:34

Professional egg decorators use a dremel drill and a diamond burr.
URCHIN

Liked in: 1 post

Return to Crafters Corner