Willow cribs

Moderator: Moderators

Willow cribs

Postby jaydee67 » 16 Mar 2013, 10:16

I have recently made 2 willow cribs for the charity Cuddles who supply items to hospitals for still born babies. These are small and meant for prem babies who didn't make it. They are used to take the babies to the parents so they can say goodbye and have a photo taken of the baby in something nice.

ladyplumber likes this post.
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Re: Willow cribs

Postby ladyplumber » 16 Mar 2013, 11:37

I would never have thought photos of someone's excellent crafting skills could reduce me to tears. :shock:

I was so touched by the reason behind these lovely cribs ........ I think perhaps because I lost my first baby to cot death syndrome in 1977 at 12 days old - a long time ago I know, but , believe it or not the feeling is still raw to this day.

I don't mean to put a damper on your thread jd, you've crafted them beautifully ! :thumbright: =D> =D>
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jaydee67 » 16 Mar 2013, 13:49

Sorry if I upset you! My mum knits tiny clothes, gowns and hats, for these babies too. She lost 2 before she had me and my three sisters. The first was flushed down the toilet after my nana (her mil) and the doctor had had 'a good look', she never saw it. If we can give these babies a bit of dignity and their parents some comfort, it's a good thing.

ladyplumber likes this post.
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Danihen » 16 Mar 2013, 14:43

I think what you and your mum are doing is fabulous and a very moving, dignified gesture. Sorry your mum had to have such a terrible experience, can't imagine the pain it must cause. Just wonderful weave work too!
Danihen

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Henwife » 16 Mar 2013, 18:56

Willow cribs have only happy memories for me and the creak of willow is a comfort sound. I do realise how lucky I am, and think those are an inspired idea to help at a really terrible time.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Return to Crafters Corner