Egg incubator.

Moderator: Moderators

Spudthebinx

Egg incubator.

Post by Spudthebinx » 03 Jun 2012, 20:38

Hi, I have made an egg incubator, it is currently calibrating the temperature at the moment to stay at 37.5 C. I would welcome any advice before I place some eggs in it.

What I did was I started with a hard walled cool box with a broken lid I got off freecycle. I cut out the broken parts and replace with clear acrylic sheets so that the inside could be observed. I am using a 40w incandescent bulb as the heat source and a 12v PC chassis fan to circulate the air inside. The temperature is regulated with a modified thermostat kit from Maplin and I am using a digital thermometer/hygrometer to give me data regarding the internal environment. Eggs must be turned by hand, and I will place a damp cloth inside should it require and extra humidity. A picture of it can be found here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6161fddce6

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Egg incubator.

Post by tweedy » 03 Jun 2012, 22:00

Looks very good but i see no ventilation.

Spudthebinx

Post by Spudthebinx » 03 Jun 2012, 22:07

Ventilation to the exterior? I read up on various sites where people made an incubator and nothing was mentioned about ventilation to the exterior, but I did wonder if perhaps eggs had all the oxygen they needed inside them. I still have another spare 12v fan so if needed I can put one into the wall of the cool box, or perhaps just drill some holes. How much ventilation would you recommend? Bear in mind the window will be opened for manual egg turning.

adgecutler

Post by adgecutler » 03 Jun 2012, 22:38

You will only need a few small holes in the top, eggs are living and so excrete CO2 which needs replacing with air. You are using forced air so a few small holes 4x1/4" will be enough I think, put them in the top so the warm air is expelled and the fresh cool air drops in.
Good luck.

Spudthebinx

Post by Spudthebinx » 29 Jun 2012, 22:00

We have eggs pipping and there are some cheep cheep noises coming from the incubator :D

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 01 Jul 2012, 10:42

Brilliant - any chicks?

Spudthebinx

Post by Spudthebinx » 04 Jul 2012, 19:09

We got 5 chicks, 2 girls and 3 boys :) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6161fddce6