Sensory quilt

Moderator: Moderators

Sensory quilt

Postby jaydee67 » 19 Mar 2012, 23:14

This is the sensory quilt I made for my niece Caitlin's birthday. Caitlin has severe quadriplegic cerebral palsy and spends a lot of time on the floor. It is mostly made from recycled materials and many of the fabrics have had previous uses in the family.

EDIT: Just realised I used the wrong photo, so if you want to know what fabrics are what, the quilt is turned 90degrees anti-clockwise from these instructions! The pushchair remnant is the one with clowns on it.
From left to right the fabrics are:
top row: remnant from covering my son's pushchair (he is now 17!), charity shop scarf, curtain remnant with netting attached, remnant from a page boy's waistcoat with velvet ribbon across, shiny lurex remnant (gift)
2nd row: piece of Caitlin's sister's (Chloe) old pj's, remnant with a baby wipes pack sewn behind for noise, piece of Chloe's old t-shirt, silver charity shop find, my old jeans with piece of ribbon
middle row: flannelette with fleece pocket, crushed velvet - an OLD dress of mine, fur fabric remnant - donated, fabric remnant with lace doiley attached, silky charity shop remnant
4th row: remnant from my daughter's cot sheet, remnant from a fancy dress skirt, my husband's shirt, remnant from a dress I made my daughter, charity shop skirt
bottom row: satiny remnant (donated), piece of a fleece jacket I made my oldest (now 25) inc. pocket, piece from a pair of pyjamas with satin belt attached containing bells, remnant from a cloak I made my oldest and Chloe's jeans with bell sewn in the pocket.

The quilt is backed with a child's sleeping bag that had a broken zip and edged with wide ribbon that has more bells hidden inside it. This ribbon and the loop side velcro patches on the quilt are the only bits not recycled.

The velcro patches are for attaching sensory items I have made and there are also 3 loops for attaching Caitlin's toys. There are different textures of textile butterflies, a bag with wooden beads and bells sewn inside and some parcel ribbon all securely sewn to the hook side of the velcro.

I think she likes it - here she is trying to pull off the ribbons (successfully much to her delight!)
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Re: Sensory quilt

Postby darkbrowneggs » 20 Mar 2012, 00:14

Lovely - What a wonderful idea and you can see she is really enjoying it :)
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby Gilly C » 20 Mar 2012, 10:03

you are very clever, they get so much pleasure from touchy feely things :NW
Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby mollteezers » 20 Mar 2012, 17:42

This is beautiful! I used to work in the field of pmld, and this kind of tactile/ sensory blanket costs such a lot of money...this is so special,and obviously made with love! Thanks for posting x
mollteezers

Liked in: 1 post

Return to Crafters Corner