Building a simple wood shelter.

Moderator: Moderators

Corganchild

Post by Corganchild » 02 Jan 2012, 08:59

Does anyone have any tips they can give me? Tried searching the internet, but there isn't much help. I just want it to look neat.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Building a simple wood shelter.

Post by crazypianolady » 02 Jan 2012, 09:38

Depends just how neat you're after..........

For a long time, my girls had a shelter made of three close boarded pallets nailed together. Functional rather than pretty, but stayed within my 'let's recycle when we can' ethos.

:)

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 02 Jan 2012, 12:27

Are you meaning a shelter for the hens? I would think it comes down to how much money you are prepared to spend on the materials, and how much effort you want to put into making it. You could put pots around it with climbers in if you want to make it more attractive.

Corganchild

Post by Corganchild » 03 Jan 2012, 09:14

Noooo, sorry, my fault.

By 'wood shelter' I mean a shelter for wood. :grin:

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 03 Jan 2012, 10:27

Pallets and exterior plywood. :grin:

mattie2012

Post by mattie2012 » 07 May 2012, 13:49

If you have the room, spread the word about that builders can drop their wood waste at your house i did this and have a constant supply from a builder....he even cleared a garden for someone once brought the wood up to mine and there was a chicken ark in amongst the scrap (which now houses my Ancona pair). Theres always loads of pallets in the scrap and it's saved me on numerous occassions when i've run out of wood for the rayburn. Sometimes he brings fence posts and they are brilliant for burning or for wood stores, I've even built my big chicken run out of them and it's 17 yards by 12 yards width.
I went to buy some wood the other day for building more arks and got a telling off from my Dad who said "You've got plenty of wood kicking about here that you could build arks from" and he's probably right but like yourself i wanted the stuff i made to look good rather than just being servicable. I was shocked at the piddly amount i got for £50 to be honest.

mattie2012

Post by mattie2012 » 07 May 2012, 13:56

Any of these any good to you?

Search for pallet craft....you may get more help and i myself enjoy looking through some of the beutiful things people make out of these scrap pallets.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » 07 May 2012, 17:45

You can get a big sheet of camo pattern tarp and secure it to a fence at one end and the ground with pegs at the other.

Or make a tent shape using a prop in the middle.

Would cost about 5-10 quid off eBay.

flory-lorry-lawrence

Post by flory-lorry-lawrence » 20 May 2012, 00:43

check instructables.com, there are desgns for everything on there its a brilliant site!!

Kev7937

Post by Kev7937 » 20 May 2012, 13:06

Old crates landscapers get stones and stuff delivered in I find perfect, good clearance off the ground, stackable, just prop or nail an old board on the top and your done, you can easily cut a few slats out for access and move them about when empty.

If your even less worried about the looks old heras fencing gives good airflow just put some pallets underneath and tie together with rope .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.