free materials basket

Moderator: Moderators

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

free materials basket

Post by jaydee67 » 30 Jul 2009, 22:58

I made some rope from daffodil leaves a few weeks ago. Tonight I coiled it into a basket around a piece of driftwood using the string from the top of the chicken feed bags as my thread.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Re: free materials basket

Post by Gilly C » 30 Jul 2009, 23:38

beautiful =D>

CP

Post by CP » 31 Jul 2009, 00:55

=D> =D>
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 01 Aug 2009, 18:42

Wow thats impressive how did you make the rope??? x
A country lass who loves it all x.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 01 Aug 2009, 19:14

=D> =D> =D>

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 01 Aug 2009, 21:07

brooksidepoultry wrote:Wow thats impressive how did you make the rope??? x
Ok, how to explain ...

I used dead leaves dampened slightly so they aren't brittle. If you use green leaves they shrink and everything goes to pot. When collecting try to keep the leaves all the same way up.

Depending on how thick you want the rope, choose a few leaves and loosely tie some string around the middle. Attach the string to something you can pull against (door handle, coat hook, dog cage, table leg, etc).

Now to making the rope. Hold the leaves so you have half in each hand. Twist the right hand side to the right and then pass it OVER the left, swapping the leaves from hand to hand. Twist on the right, pass over the left. As the leaves are used add in more. You can let go to fiddle with your leaf bundle as the rope will not undo. Move the string along the rope (unless you want to go back a long way and have the space to do so!) as the rope lengthens.

This method can be used with lots of plant materials, one person at the workshop I did used dry grass, a bit more fiddly coz the length was shorter but a great rope!

Clear as mud?