Appleby Horse fair:

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Appleby Horse fair:

Postby brooksidepoultry » 11 Jun 2014, 00:02

Just been for the very 1st time & not quite sure what to make of it, it seemed like there was not much trouble or animal welfare problems around although you did see the odd horse with a bit of a cut with "Blue spray" on it & we did see a horse in a trap go over but even then it wasn't going fast or being forced to & I think slipped on the wet tarmac & as soon as it happened people were trying to help calm it & check it over & get the harness & trap off which was good. We felt completely safe but I did feel the event was possibly overrated slightly unless you came to buy a horse or diamonte studded clothes.

Has anyone else been or would go & what do they think of it? Will try & upload pics soon xx
A country lass who loves it all x.

MamaOwl likes this post.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Re: Appleby Horse fair:

Postby Henwife » 11 Jun 2014, 07:05

I suspect it's become a "Glastonbury for Horses" despite it's business & social origins. I've always thought it sounded rather fun.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

MamaOwl likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby drfish » 11 Jun 2014, 08:38

Looks great when they have it 'Gyspy Weddings', et al.

Just a shame the idiotic blinkered gypsy haters can't just learn to leave them to it. They cause far less trouble than supposedly civilised people do on a night down town.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

MamaOwl likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby MamaOwl » 11 Jun 2014, 10:59

drfish wrote:..... leave them to it. ....

^ THIS x100.... they have their own 'laws' and ways of dealing with any trouble... 'Others' sticking their nose in creates 90% of the supposed 'trouble'.
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 12 Jun 2014, 23:28

MamaOwl wrote:
drfish wrote:..... leave them to it. ....

^ THIS x100.... they have their own 'laws' and ways of dealing with any trouble... 'Others' sticking their nose in creates 90% of the supposed 'trouble'.

Bit like Muslims and sharia law then!
If you have nothing
Give it away

CP likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby CP » 13 Jun 2014, 00:43

Don't get me started on that topic....it's not good for my blood pressure! :angryfire:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Henwife » 13 Jun 2014, 07:17

Having lived in both Oman (an unrepressive and friendly country) and Saudi Arabia, I would say that every country should make it's own rules and not pander to the foibles of others as the UK does. Nuff said.

Comments about Appleby are interesting, in that for the first time my sister ent this year. She too commented on the amount of purple spray on the horses, but far, far worse, was the litter. Perhaps they clear up at the end, I know Glastonbury spends a fortune on clearing up afterwards, but this impression will only re-inforce the belief that Gypsies/Romanies are dirty. The 'travellers' have a lot to answer for, and the general attitude of 'one more bit won't make any difference' probably accounts for the state of any public gathering.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

CP likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Return to Smallholder animals