Triplets

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Triplets

Postby goatlady » 21 Mar 2014, 16:51

Last night we had the birth of our first ever goat triplets. It was a difficult delivery for all three (one presenting head forward but legs pushed backwards and the other two presenting legs forward but head turned to the side), requiring expertise far beyond my own limited skills. Without the kind help of a local farmer, who dropped everything and came rushing over, I'm certain all three would have died, and quite possibly the mother as well. Today they're all strong and healthy, and a good size. I can't believe they all managed to fit inside a single goat less than 24 hours ago!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

6 people like this post.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 30 posts

Re: Triplets

Postby jillychick » 21 Mar 2014, 17:33

I don't understand how she could stand never mind walk :shock: what a relieved mum she must be. Congratulations to all FIVE of you =D>
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

crazypianolady likes this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 21 Mar 2014, 17:42

Oh wow my cute gland just exploded!!

Lovely Goaty Musketeers!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby goatlady » 21 Mar 2014, 17:45

jillychick wrote:I don't understand how she could stand never mind walk :shock: what a relieved mum she must be.
Well, she was nearly as broad as she is long, and had slowed down a great deal. She went a couple of days over term, as well, which is unusual for triplets. I'm sure she's relieved, and so am I!
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Moriarty » 21 Mar 2014, 19:30

oooh that is one sore mama goat today, I imagine. But how cute they are all. Have you given them names yet?
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby goatlady » 21 Mar 2014, 20:02

I tend not to name the babies, because I generally accept that I can't keep them, and I don't know which ones will end up at the abattoir. The little male certainly will, as these are cross-breeds, but the two girls may well have a future as milkers.

CP likes this post.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Postby nigel » 21 Mar 2014, 20:44

That's my goat-fix for today, beautiful kids.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 22 Mar 2014, 11:04

V cute - what breed? x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby goatlady » 22 Mar 2014, 11:30

They're Alpine-Pyrenean crosses, which is why the males are only valuable as meat. The photo in my previous post (about whether or not to castrate) is of pure Pyrenean goat kids.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Postby MamaOwl » 22 Mar 2014, 15:31

Are they pygmy ?
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby goatlady » 22 Mar 2014, 15:44

No, they're full size. Pyreneans are bred for both milk and meat.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Postby brooksidepoultry » 23 Mar 2014, 13:17

On the upside Goatlady you've possibly got 1 pedigree Billy to sell on for breeding if he's good enough, 1 for eating & 2 to possibly keep on as milkers which works out quite nicely - are you due any more? & how many goats do you own in total? x
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Postby goatlady » 23 Mar 2014, 13:50

I doubt whether I will keep any of them, although the little Pyrenean doe kid is very tempting! I only have four pens, and so it's impractical to keep even one. Also, there's a limit to how much milk we can use.

I have three adult females, one castrated adult male still with us by default (became too affectionate to be sent to the abattoir last year), twin Pyrenean babies and four cross-bred babies. I sold my billy in the autumn, and now they're all a lot easier to manage. No more to give birth this year, thank goodness. I don't think I could take the stress!

My new mother was doing all right until yesterday evening, but now she has no milk left at all, and the babies are constantly trying to get more. She's been a good milker in the past, but I guess she's exhausted from the pregnancy and birth, and she's just not making enough for three. I've started supplementing with milk from the other two mums, but there's not much of that to spare - and that was meant to be for us!
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Postby brooksidepoultry » 23 Mar 2014, 14:40

Still are adult & maiden milkers in demand? & how many crossbred males did you end up with this year? x
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Postby goatlady » 23 Mar 2014, 14:47

Only one cross-bred male - and, now I'm starting to supplement with a bottle, there's every chance he'll become tame and lovable! And I already have meat orders for the autumn! Oh dear...

CP likes this post.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Return to Smallholder animals