Which pig is best for meat

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Which pig is best for meat

Postby tyncat » 16 May 2013, 18:44

We're going to get 3 pigs to grow for meat, but we're not sure which breed'll be best, a friend did old spots, we had half and it was yummy, do we go for the same breed or can someone suggest a better breed.
Also does can anyone tell us what the average cost is from getting the pig through to butchering, we're thinking around £300 and have been told we'd get 95 kilos of meat from it , is that about right?

Cheers guys
tyncat
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Which pig is best for meat

Postby Woodland Hen » 17 May 2013, 08:21

Hi, sorry I don't have any direct experience for you....oh won't let me have pigs because of the feed costs :( I have friends who raise old spots and swear by them.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Re: Which pig is best for meat

Postby Natchosdad » 17 May 2013, 08:58

Dead ones :naughty

Our local butcher sell Old spot bacon and it is really nice. I assume you're talking rare breeds ? if so I've always like Old spots & Tamworths (because my kids are ginger) and of the two Old spots would be calmer as they're lop eared - but thats only theory as I've never kept them ... only eaten them :slurp
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 15 posts

Return to Smallholder animals