Diatom for my sheep

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

NannyP

Diatom for my sheep

Post by NannyP » 30 Apr 2013, 13:29

Since my 3 sheep are grazing on 2/3rds of an acre, I am assuming it is not really a worming issue. However, for the sake of prevention rather than cure. Would it be okay to give them some Diatom to eat do you think?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Diatom for my sheep

Post by drfish » 30 Apr 2013, 16:55

Food grade diatom is safe for all mammals and birds from what I've read up on it. I know bugger all about sheep, but have researched diatom quite a bit.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 30 Apr 2013, 17:03

I have a bucket load of Diatom, as I rarely need it for the poultry, and bought 10kgs a couple of years ago. I shall give them some hidden in bread I think.

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 01 May 2013, 22:32

There could be quite a build up of worms on that amount of land, depending on the stocking density.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 02 May 2013, 09:41

Just 3 sheep on the 2/3rds acre and 5 chickens.

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » 02 May 2013, 21:39

Sorry, you said three in your first sentence ! The usual advice would be to worm them with a conventional wormer at least once a year. There are several types of wormers on the market and the advice has been for sheep and goats, to alternate the type of drug used. 2/3 of an acre could produce a big build up of worms if used continually.

farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Post by farmer Warren » 02 May 2013, 22:55

most agricultural stores offer a feacal egg count service/kit which would give you a definitive answer ? i think i paid £10 for it last year at scats but that was a special offer

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 02 May 2013, 23:08

diatom wont do them any harm, so I'd do with that as you have loads
we drench ours around every 3 months, but, when they are at home the stocking density isn't generous and when they are on common grazing we can't gaurentee that everyone is treating regularily
Fluke is a major problem here as well, so twice a year (at least) we treat for both
I'm presuming that your land hasn't been grazed before so there shouldn't be a worm burden
Diatom should keep most at bay and ducks :lol: are good for sorting fluke out
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 02 May 2013, 23:11

I'll have to work out how to ask in French lol

Oh, thanks Debs.
They've only been on the ground for 4 weeks and no, not grazed for at least 6 years as far as I am aware, so I am thinking all should be okay for a while.

Might have to think about ducks again! My last 2 left home :lol: :lol: