Might be getting 2 or 3 young Ouessant's in the Spring

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Might be getting 2 or 3 young Ouessant's in the Spring

Postby NannyP » 25 Jan 2013, 00:20

I met a lady today who has some in lamb who lives about 5 mins away. I am going with Mark to look later next week and decide whether we will have some. Mark hasn't said yes, but I have decided to assume he'll give in :grin: We have about 2/3rds of an acre, so hopefully will be enough grazing for them. Have read though that they need to change every so often to avoid intestinal worms, so will need to work out how we do this.

They need shelter in heavy weather or very hot sun, we have a very large double concrete (garage type) building at the bottom of the garden which will be fine for them.
They don't need to be locked away at night, but i will be doing so, they can go in with the chickens as again, the chicken concrete shed is the size of a large garage. I am sure the sheep won't mind and that the chickens will :grin:
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Re: Might be getting 2 or 3 young Ouessant's in the Spring

Postby ladyplumber » 25 Jan 2013, 00:42

It sounds like you've got everything planned anyway, whether Mark agrees or not ! I think you're just taking him for the company :lol:

Good luck with your new ( or EWE ) project :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Henwife » 25 Jan 2013, 08:21

There have been some rather amusing asides about these mad little sheep in the Weekend section of the Telegraph - C'est la Folie I think, but my spelling may be erratic.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby NannyP » 25 Jan 2013, 10:51

Yes LP, all is sorted :-''' :-'''

Henwife, Michael Wright lives a couple of hours away and I have read his book (not the sequel though). I came across this yesterday;

Sheep look after lambing all by themselves they say
:grin:

I have to check out the regulations regarding proximity to housing, as we have an outstanding dispute with our neighbour and his over population of pigeons, chickens and ducks and their proximity (with the shit he doesn't ever clear up) to our house. Don't want to cause a counter dispute (this one has been going on for 18 months).
NannyP

Postby NannyP » 16 Mar 2013, 10:51

On a brighter note, I could have the sheep next week. Going over on Monday to see the new lambs.

She has one who's mum is not being kind and it sounds to me like the lamb is not thriving. I have told her that I'll take it and feed it along with the others. She's reluctant at the moment, as she says it is running around....so we'll see. Perhaps I'll move from poultry to sheep, as free ranging shouldn't be so dangerous for them (don't think we have wolves here!)

:grin:
NannyP

Postby NannyP » 18 Mar 2013, 16:42

We went to look and came home with these :grin:

5 people like this post.
NannyP

Postby ladyplumber » 18 Mar 2013, 18:15

Awwww ................... bless ............ !!! They're lovely :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Postby debcat » 19 Mar 2013, 11:33

beautiful
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

milkmaid likes this post.
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby NannyP » 30 Apr 2013, 13:23

Four weeks on. The sheep are now very tame, mug me to see if I have some food for them, which I don't have each time, so deliberately not being consistent.
On Day 3 I bought some "Granulet pour Animaux" for them and they won't touch it. They will, however, eat layers pellets and whole maize, climb trees like goats, eat all the lower new leaves, and eat ivy leaves like they're going out of fashion!
The lamb (Ida) has doubled in size at least and looks quite big next to her mum now. Inca the Ram has become very tame, follows me so close. He and Ida play fight, and she thinks she's a he and mounts him frequently!
I took some photos yesterday when the sun was out.

Today it's rained all day and they're in the shelter that Mark converted very quickly the day after they arrived. They shunned it and it's only more recently we've found them in there now and again. They're very hardy, and don't need shelter accept in very wet or windy circumstances. Most of the time they have been "sheltering" under the leafless trees!

I'm very pleased with them, it's lovely being followed down the garden at dusk by chickens and sheep. It's interesting when trying to keep the sheep out of the hen house and food, and sorting out who should be in and who should be out. The oddest thing for me is not "putting them to bed" as I am used to with the chickens, and just knowing they're wandering around out there at night.
NannyP

Postby ladyplumber » 01 May 2013, 00:15

You're certainly doing something right NannyP, I can see they're thriving and contented ............ you sound contented too ! :grin:
ladyplumber

Postby NannyP » 01 May 2013, 10:56

I am feeling very content thank you. I think they'll be glad of the shelter this afternoon, storms and hail are on the cards!

I think I may be wanting a lamb or two next year. I haven't told Mark, but I am feeling a bit of an addiction coming on :lol: :lol:

debcat likes this post.
NannyP

Return to Smallholder animals