It's going to be a long day!

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

It's going to be a long day!

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 05 Jan 2013, 09:57

Today is sheep day, feet, bums, worming and vaccinating - only got 9 but with all the mud to get off them first me thinks it we will be out most of the day. AND, they always know when I need them in - can get them in any other time, with a bucket of food - and they are fine but as soon as anything needs doing you can be sure that one or two will decided " I don't want to go in today thanks"!!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Re: It's going to be a long day!

Postby ladyplumber » 05 Jan 2013, 10:13

Oooh, good luck with it all Chris, at least a mild dry day is forecast ....... I just hope the weather forecasters aren't lying because I've got 17 pallets to split today ( donated by one of my ex employers :shock: ! ) :lol:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby debcat » 05 Jan 2013, 16:02

thats trudiewoo, she'll follow me anywhere unless it involves a trailer or the sheep dip - then brute force has to be used.
strangely she loves wormer and thrivite, you don't have to hold her at all until you are doing the rest and she wants seconds
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby crazypianolady » 05 Jan 2013, 18:36

So how's it going/gone? :)
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 06 Jan 2013, 09:42

All done - bless them, they all went in the shelter first go :grin: . Feet very wet but not as bad as I thought they were going to be - one of the ewe lambs moved at the wrong moment so ended up bleeding a little - plenty of antibiotic spray and a big cuddle from Dad (till it dried) made it better. Bums all done - some were better than others, all done with Heptivac P plus and wormed. One looks pregnant and has teats (no udders) - God knows how as we haven't hired a ram this time as the girls were having a rest year - unless a sneaky ram got in - and out again- from the farm next door!!!! Came in, stripped off, clothes in washing machine and us in shower/bath!!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby crazypianolady » 06 Jan 2013, 11:07

That sounds like a very productive day! :)

A couple of years ago, my sister couldn't understand how her two pygmy goats had got pregnant - until she saw the (full size) ram from the adjacent farm (normally kept several fields away!) jumping over an 'impossibly' high fence. :shock: One of the pygmy goats died, the vet managed to save the other one - the kids were too big for them to carry full term. :(
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Henwife » 06 Jan 2013, 11:13

CPL - did you mean ram as in sheep or a billy goat?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby crazypianolady » 06 Jan 2013, 12:03

Henwife wrote:CPL - did you mean ram as in sheep or a billy goat?

Sorry, a billy goat! :oops: My brain's still not working properly. :roll:
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 06 Jan 2013, 18:08

The ram next door would have to get over 2 fences and a stream! - still I suppose it was worth it for him :) . Just hoping that it didn't happen - I didn't want her pregnant again as she had problems lambing last year.

A friend with Herdwicks couldn't understand how one ewe always gave birth at least a month before the others till he saw her jump the fences between her and the ram kept 2 fields away!
Chris

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby chuck1 » 07 Jan 2013, 00:35

It's a good feeling when all is done.

With illicit matings, the females are almost as often to blame as the males in all species !
chuck1

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 07 Jan 2013, 09:38

:lol: :lol:
Chris

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby CP » 07 Jan 2013, 11:41

:ooo Naughty!! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 08 Jan 2013, 01:09

Ah see you lot need a sheep turner for doing the hooves ect & their great for things like c-sections if needed, but if we 're doing hooves we line up a race of Hurdles, Half the sheep are in the field behind the barn & the back half in the barn waiting to be done & the sheep turner is at the end of the front half of the barn with enough room to loose them when done into the front half of the barn or a section of the farmyard which we also do with shearing so essentially the idea is you have approx 20-50 sheep waiting in the race waiting to be done so the should push each other forward with a little gentle persuasion :grin: :grin: :grin: but its normally a 3-4 person job as 1s trimming 1s blocking them from bolting through when the turners opened to let 1 out & 1 person is fetching the others forward or more in.

Its a mad constant days work but omg I love it & it's soo satisfying when you sit down for a cup of tea & look at the huge quantity of animals you've dealt with & sorted through & I love the sheep turners as its a right nuisance to try & turn a fully grown texel or suffolk ram or a big ewe :shock: :shock: & I'm one of the youngsters expected to do it :lol: but to have something they can just walk into & you secure the back door & their head into it & then turn it & lock it into place & open the door & trim feet away or check the teeth - It's brilliant & no more back breaking :grin: & as for the sheep dipping we just use sheep races but again we're dealing with big numbers of livestock xx
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 08 Jan 2013, 11:21

I only have 9 BSP - someone gave us an old turner a couple of years ago but some of mine are small and slip out!!!!! Being Ryelands, and Ryeland crosses, they are placid and are content to be held whilst I lift each foot - a bit back breaking at times but I tend to do other stuff between doing feet to give my back a rest. I don't dip - mine get sprayed and a spot on - expensive for a large flock but easier for just a few.
Chris

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby brooksidepoultry » 18 Jan 2013, 00:37

Ah I don't blame you chris see only our welsh ones like the kerry's tend to be smaller & very aggressive, protective ewes I might add! but the others are all pretty big especially the rams & it would be too much for me to turn on my own but the majority of ours are pretty placid & with sheep & cattle I always find the male breeding stock calmer than the girls :lol: & I'm sorry but I can't be doing with little excitable breeds like shetlands xx
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Return to Smallholder animals