De horning an adult goat

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: De horning an adult goat

Postby brooksidepoultry » 13 Dec 2012, 02:55

Ok thats fair enough comment but me & the vet are pretty clear on the differences on de-horning & dis-budding considering I've had approx 20 years experience in farming & 3-4 years in a vets &he's been fully qualified & doing both large & small animal work for over 40 years - it's just he was like don't even attempt it in goats but cattle are different & I only have exsperience in cattle & polled breeds of goats x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby chuck1 » 13 Dec 2012, 11:21

? polled breeds of goats ?
chuck1

Liked in: 1 post

Postby nigel » 13 Dec 2012, 20:50

chuck1 wrote:? polled breeds of goats ?

If I am remembering my smallholder classes, there are naturally polled goats but as this trait is linked genetically to hermaphrodism they are not common and need very careful breeding.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 14 Dec 2012, 00:14

A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby chuck1 » 14 Dec 2012, 01:14

Yes there are naturally polled goats - the point I was making was that the polled factor is not linked to breeds in goats and can occur in any one. It has been getting less common for years and the vast majority of the national herd are horned.
chuck1

Postby Henwife » 14 Dec 2012, 07:58

I hadn't realised that they were referred to as bucks and does in the US. Maybe that's why they refer to children as kids.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby chuck1 » 14 Dec 2012, 10:38

Much more sensible than the childish 'billy' and 'nanny' that we use here.
chuck1

Postby Henwife » 14 Dec 2012, 17:25

Nanny makes sense in that they are often kept with highly strung horses to keep them calm, but Billy? All that witters through my mind is Billy the Kid, or Billy Goat Gruff. Now I shall have to find out why they're called that in the UK. To me a buck or doe is a rabbit!
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby drfish » 14 Dec 2012, 18:47

Or deer
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Henwife » 14 Dec 2012, 22:29

Stag or hind I thought, or is that to do with age?
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby drfish » 15 Dec 2012, 11:01

For most types of deer in modern English usage, the male is called a "buck" and the female is termed a "doe", but the terms vary with dialect, and especially according to the size of the species. For many larger deer the male is termed a "stag", while for other larger deer the same words are used as for cattle: "bull" and "cow". The male Red Deer is a "hart", especially if more than five years old, and the female is a "hind", especially if three or more years old; both terms can also be used for any species of deer, and were widely so used in the past.[3] Terms for young deer vary similarly, with that of most smaller species being called a "fawn" and that of most larger species "calf"; young of the smallest kinds may be a kid. A castrated male deer is a "havier".[4] A group of deer of any kind is a "herd". The adjective of relation pertaining to deer is cervine; like the family name "Cervidae", this is from Latin: cervus, "deer
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Henwife » 15 Dec 2012, 11:53

Thank you - now to see how much of that I am going to be able to remember.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Lindsay » 15 Dec 2012, 17:24

The terms I have always used are - stag,hind and fawn for reds, buck,doe and fawn for roe and fallow, and bull, cow and calf for the larger breeds eg elk.

As for 'billy', there is also 'jill' for a female ferret, and 'jenny' for a female mule, and not forgetting 'Jenny Wren'. Also 'Tom' for a male cat.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby yorkshire duck » 21 Dec 2012, 14:13

UPDATE - we've found some one who has recently lost one of their 2 goats & is desperate to find company for their remaining one, both our goats will be going to live with hers at the weekend, no op necessary as shes quite happy to take her horn & all, we've ear tagged & wormed them both & they'll have legit movement papers so hopefully this will be HAPPY ENDING to the story !!
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.
yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Henwife » 21 Dec 2012, 18:25

Enormous relief for everybody I imagine.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

PreviousNext

Return to Smallholder animals