foot problems in sheep

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

foot problems in sheep

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 19 Aug 2012, 08:28

This year has been really bad for 2 of my ewes and foot problems - I have put it down to the weather and everywhere being so muddy - even inside their shelter! We recently bought a couple of tonnes of sand and put it on the floor of their shelter to try and help but yesterday I noticed that one of the ewes was limping again. She let me look at her foot and although the "frog" has turned white there is not the usual smell of foot rot - I cleaned out any mud and sprayed her foot with an antibiotic spray and she seems more comfortable this morning but still has a bit of a limp. We only trimmed their feet 3 weeks ago (along with worming and treating for fly strike) and there was no problems then. She had problems back in June and had to be treated with pen & strep injections - I have some and some syringes but am loath to give her another 5 days of antibiotics so soon after the last lot.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Re: foot problems in sheep

Postby Henwife » 19 Aug 2012, 10:11

Get some copper sulphate, dissolve in boiling water, cool and dip one foot at a time, having cleaned each first. Sand holds damp, gravel doesn't.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: foot problems in sheep

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 20 Aug 2012, 05:05

Thanks Henwife - will get some today. The sand is a temp measure till we can source some round gravel - it hasn't been down long so is still dry at the moment.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Return to Smallholder animals