Want pig fencing installed for pigs,costs and advice please

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

sasha.p

Want pig fencing installed for pigs,costs and advice please

Post by sasha.p » 15 Jul 2012, 17:53

I just wondered can people give me an idea of how much I would be looking at to pay a proffesionall to install some livestock fencing ,thing is my hubby has never done any fencing before a few years ago when we purchased our land we sourced stakes from countrwide and stock fencing and installed fencing here we are 5 years down the line I am now noticing the posts have rotted in the ground and are snapping and there is no way our fence would retain a pig or two :( I have not told him yet but I have ideas of getting somebody in next spring to do some fencing I want to know what is the average cost per meter for livestock fencing to be installed on sloping ground is there any advice you can offer our ground is clay but quick drying as is on a slope(is this why our post rotted so quickly?) a lot of it is wooded area so there is roots also that may get in the way what can I expect to pay a contracter to do a fence thats not going to become weak like our first ever attempt did?its important as I really dont want livestock getting loose from our land for obvious reasons but need to plan ahead so I can set aside a week or two next spring to deal with just out land

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Want pig fencing installed for pigs,costs and advice ple

Post by tweedy » 15 Jul 2012, 18:23

Pig fencing is easier and you can move it around. http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co. ... Swine.aspx

sasha.p

Post by sasha.p » 15 Jul 2012, 19:50

Thank you for the reply ,yes I have considered electric fencing for sectioning internally but I really want a permanant fencing boundary to keep people out and show precisly where the boundry is at the moment we do not have anything surrounding the woodland area it is open with a hedgeline that will be laid at the end of this year on the side of the road but we bottom side and top to be enclosed to keep the pigs in and allow them to roam freely to help clear our ground of bracken we are thinking of tamworths as they rout about a bit more but I need to find out what most fencing contractors charge so I know what to expect when I am given a quote .I thought about doing internal pens using electric fencing that way I can rotate the ground but I want the outer boundry sorted first

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 15 Jul 2012, 20:58

Oh i see, well labour will cost basically the same as the materials. Also the terrain needs to be taken into account. Ask your neighbours who they use and get some quotes.