Sheep scanning results!

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Sheep scanning results!

Postby shepherdess » 04 Jan 2011, 09:29

Hi All, had to share this one, we had some very disappointing scanning results last year (150%) in our flock of 1100 suffolk x mules and NC mules, we blamed the dry weather, the neighbours sheep (scab) etc etc. I have been dreading scanning this year, we have spent all summer getting the girls and boys into tip top shape, sorted into groups, blood sampled, worm counts, you name it, we did it and it turns out that we had a very minor mineral imbalance in one part of the farm so 5 weeks before tupping started we gave every ewe and ram a mineral bolus to top their levels up, for years and years we have been using a pre tupping mineral drench followed up by another dose pre lambing but recent reserch has shown that its not 'held' in the sheep for as long as they suggest on the bottle! Scanned the girls on monday and one group that scanned at 136% last year scanned at an eye watering 213% even the shearlings scanned at 181% which, for us is the best ever, so having sat down and worked it all out, whole flock performance is 191% its going to be a very busy lambing :help:

milkmaid likes this post.
shepherdess

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Sheep scanning results!

Postby CP » 04 Jan 2011, 09:57

Great news, well done for your persistence! =D>
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby milkmaid » 04 Jan 2011, 13:05

great news ,it will be busy
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby ilex » 04 Jan 2011, 13:53

=D> :grin: Hope the weather is Good for you at lambing time . [-o<
ilex

Postby shepherdess » 04 Jan 2011, 14:25

I always pray for dry weather, cold is fine, wet is a challenge!
shepherdess

Postby milkmaid » 04 Jan 2011, 14:38

knowe that feeling ,i'm not to bad only a few ,nonie was lambing 2 years ago outside in
-19 wind chill and it was sleeting and snowing
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby shepherdess » 04 Jan 2011, 16:05

I lamb in all weathers, I start on January the 21st at a big farm down the road, all indoors, nobody goes out to grass there until march, then we lamb ours 4th march onwards, last lot start 21st of April, just 3 big lots to do this year...... Plus providing a 24 hour lamb pulling / prolapse / mastitis / sick lamb sorting service to about 10 local smallholders!
shepherdess

Postby shire horse girl » 04 Jan 2011, 19:03

Enjoy
shire horse girl
Hen
Hen

Postby Hen-Gen » 04 Jan 2011, 19:26

Because Spring is so late here and no-one on this island lambs indoors the tups go to the ewes on December 4th to give lambing from May 1st. I'm running my ewe lambs on this year unmated and they'll be served next December by my Zwartble tup who is currently out on loan.
They never seem to have their heads out of the Crystalyx tubs despite me feeding them well.
Be sure to let us know how you get on and some pics would be nice - especially those triplets.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby shepherdess » 04 Jan 2011, 21:01

And the 3 sets of quads???
shepherdess

Postby julieszoo » 05 Jan 2011, 22:05

Quads! Do you have to try and foster or hand raise those ones? Or can sheep cope with extras?
julieszoo

Postby jojosarah » 05 Jan 2011, 23:26

:lol: I wish i lived closer, i fancy having a go at lambing. I work as a practice nurse in a rural community, so i am planning to offer my services, i should have been a vet not a nurse
jojosarah

Postby brooksidepoultry » 07 Jan 2011, 18:43

Congartulations but sorry how do you work out the percentages? I wish we scanned but my uncle owns the flock & wont have it but sod 1100 we've got 200-300 maybe 350 & thats enough with the cattle & poultry on top :lol:

Hen-gen what ewes do you have are they zwarbles as well? x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby debcat » 07 Jan 2011, 18:54

percentages : if you have 10 sheep and they are all singles then it's 100%
all twins and it's 200%
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby brooksidepoultry » 07 Jan 2011, 20:37

Oh ok you see I've never thought of it that you see I've only ever thought of it as 200 ewes all have lambs whatever they were be it singles, twins or triplets ect I'd have classed it as 100% or for example 150 fertile ewes out of 200 = 3/4 sorry the computer wont allow me to do it the other way x.
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Next

Return to Smallholder animals