Avocado

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Avocado

Postby MamaOwl » 29 Dec 2014, 17:34

I inadvertently grew an Avocado tree... well sapling at the moment. Youngest son River asked me if we could grow one so I dried out the stone, threw it in a tub with my Yukka Plant and forgot about it until it was 6 inches tall!

it's now 2 foot tall and looking healthy!

My questions are:

Will it survive being re-potted into a tub of it's own?

Is it ok in our cold conservatory? It gets warm in there during the day if the sun is shining but gets quite cold at night....

avocado sapling.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Re: Avocado

Postby CP » 30 Dec 2014, 03:50

Sorry, dont know anything about keeping the plant alive but just to warn you that avocado's are poisonous to chickens, so keep them away from it! Not sure if it's the whole plant or just the fruit but better to be safe than sorry. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

organic chick likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby kated » 30 Dec 2014, 13:24

It's a tropical tree so 1) it doesn't like to be cold 2) if you let it, it will outgrow your house! They are fun and easy to grow but you won't get an avocado from it.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 30 Dec 2014, 14:12

So can I transplant it into it's own tub for now? I'll chuck it on the field once it's taller than me! lol

I couldn't kill it..... I've named it!!!

CP likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CP » 30 Dec 2014, 16:11

And it's name is....?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 30 Dec 2014, 17:18

'Cardo of course!!

2 people like this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby organic chick » 30 Dec 2014, 18:33

You need to pot it on into a larger pot now and then do not repot again. Unlikely to flower or fruit here, but if you are brave enough to scar the bark when it is older that stimulates the production of a flower. Highly susceptible to red spider mite of the greenhouse variety. They make handsome greenery plants and will only grow as big as the pot you put it in allows it to. I have a friend in San Diego who grows them in her garden and I gorge myself when I go visit. Yum.

Now where is that pheasant for tomorrow ........
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

MamaOwl likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 30 Dec 2014, 20:01

scar? tell me moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

lol
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Grow Your Own