Free ranging..... Well sort of ....

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Free ranging..... Well sort of ....

Postby organic chick » 19 Mar 2014, 10:22

Our hens have an absolutely huge WIR plus a smaller one connecting to their coop. We are not allowed to free range them as part of our allotment licence on the estate where we live, so we have come up with a good compromise. We purchased a collapsible pen which we move around the raised beds on our organic allotment. Late afternoons we move several of the girls down to it where they spend a couple of hours gardening for us. Saves us digging, they get rid of the bugs and have a whale of a time into the bargain. They absolutely love it and are used to the routine now and there is great anticipation and almost a queue to be taken down there. Their next job is to clear an area for us prior to making a wildflower meadow. They are working girls after all!!

We actually had one 'escape' yesterday and she calmly went back up the hill to the main run and waited to be let back in!!

Great fun.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

4 people like this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Free ranging..... Well sort of ....

Postby jillychick » 19 Mar 2014, 11:23

Sounds like great fun. we have the same rules on our allotment but hey the hens can't read the rules can they :grin:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Return to Grow Your Own