soft fruit bushes

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

soft fruit bushes

Postby jillychick » 12 Nov 2013, 22:32

When is the right time to buy and plant fruit bushes? I'm looking for blueberries, blackcurrent, gooseberry, and raspberry. I have seen some gooseberry bushes in the garden centre at a ridiculously high price £9-99 each for a tiny bush! Can't find blackcurrent, blueberries, or raspberries any where yet. Can get blueberries on line but the delivery costs are ridiculas. Was a wondering when the season for planting is?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Re: soft fruit bushes

Postby crazypianolady » 12 Nov 2013, 23:16

Check your nearest Wilkinson's in the spring, they have lots of plants and shrubs at reasonable prices. And protect them from your hens, they'll eat the lot. ;) :roll: :lol:

jillychick likes this post.
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby jillychick » 12 Nov 2013, 23:40

Yes that's something else to build in the spring a cage for the bushes :-&
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby kated » 13 Nov 2013, 17:37

If you can find a friend or neighbour with a gooseberry bush, do try taking a cutting as they are one of the easiest to set. Cut off a few twigs around 6-8 inches long, stick them in a pot of good damp compost and put the pot in a ziploc plastic bag. I didn't even put rooting compound on mine and 4 out of 5 took. I put mine in an unheated greenhouse from late Autumn and they sprouted in the Spring.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 81 posts

Return to Grow Your Own