Diatomaceous earth

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Diatomaceous earth

Postby organic chick » 10 Oct 2013, 22:20

I read recently that this can be made into a paste and painted onto fruit tree trunks to protect against various bugs and other ne'er do wells. Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you make it into a paste?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Postby drfish » 11 Oct 2013, 08:56

I've used it as a paste/concoction in a spray bottle for the coop, and it does work quite well. I found it mixed better in warm water than in cold, and if you add a drop or two of washing up liquid, it disperses the surface tension so it mixed better. I used about 2 tablespoons (from memory) to a litre and that seemed to give a reasonable coverage of grey liquid. For a proper paste, I'd guess you'd just reduce the water to suit.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby organic chick » 11 Oct 2013, 16:52

Brilliant! Washing up liquid - I knew there must be some sort of wetting agent other than water Many thanks.
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 19 Oct 2013, 18:03

Trees 'painted' ready to repel pests. Bonus effect is the trees are now white so less likely to bump into them when I check the hens at night :lol:

CP likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Return to Grow Your Own