starting to grow my own

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

starting to grow my own

Postby leoti1 » 18 Oct 2012, 12:46

I have grown my own before but this coming year i would like to grow stuff for me and my son as well as the chickens so what do the rest of you grow ????????? am planning cabbage and tomatoes , potatoes and a herb area
leoti1

Liked in: 1 post

Re: starting to grow my own

Postby CLUCKINGHELL » 26 Mar 2013, 20:31

Hi just about to get into chicken keeping got a 2 year old grandson to keep amused..lol

I have never done any growing until last year when I planted a couple of thornless blackberry bushes a raspberry bush and two blueberry bushes..(he loves fruit)..did plant 60 strawberry plants in two towers but from the day I did we had all that rain and they all but failed!

So this year along with the last years efforts I have planted two cherry trees and some garlic bulbs and will attempt strawberries and cherry tomatoes along with 3-4 herb plants yet to decide on which.

Lets hope summer comes soon..lol

Good luck with yours

Steve
CLUCKINGHELL
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Gordon » 26 Mar 2013, 21:40

We grow radish, carrots & beetroot (very easy) every year. Also peas which fresh are FANTASTIC, my two boys don't like veg (who's do!!) but they happily pick and eat peas from the patch & eat them raw!!

We are trying sprouts this year for the first time (the wife loves them & apparently the birds will enjoy the stalks?!)

Tomatoes are a lot of effort for not a lot of gain, spuds are easy, but so cheap in the shops anyway?!! We also have a couple of strawberry patches, two grape vine which we leave to themselves and pick if/when they bear fruit.

We also have an olive tree which may as well be an elephant tree as we have never seen it produce anything?!?
Gordon

Postby iwilson » 27 Mar 2013, 21:08

we have been growing our own for a few years now in our old little garden,
but this year (now we have a big garden with our move last October) we have expanded and (weather allowing) we will be growing....
rasperries,
blackberries,
apples,
cherries,
pears,
goosberries,
salad leaves,
tomatoes,
squash
cucumber
courgette
onions
garlic
carrots (different colours)
chard
beatroot
potatoes
cauliflower
and much much more :)
iwilson

Postby soufle » 30 Mar 2013, 23:09

I try to grow stuff which is expensive to buy , so brussels sprouts , purple sprouting broccoli , calabrese are three of my favourites. Hubby grows lots of spuds ,not because they are expensive to buy but because he likes different varieties for different things.
I love the romanesco cauliflowers too but havnt been as successful as I would like.
the best advise I would give is to grow the things that you like to eat and learn to sow your seeds in succession so you dont get a glut of things.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Jessie » 30 Mar 2013, 23:32

I've just bought done rhubarb. Going to be next year before we can harvest it but looking forward to rhubarb crumble!
Jessie

Postby soufle » 31 Mar 2013, 22:02

Hi Jessie, I bought some rhubarb too . Two roots and then I thought I'd put some seed in ....of two varieties (never one to do things by halves ). They germinated like cress. I pricked out 48 seedlings. Lord knows what I'll do with them if they all grow.Maybe go into production. !! Its so expensive to buy in the shops sint it ?
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Jessie » 03 Apr 2013, 21:04

Yeah, I can't believe how expensive it is compared to how easy it is to grow!
Jessie

Postby Gordon » 16 Apr 2013, 18:36

Our peas are coming on lovely as are carrots & parsnips \:D/

Also planted some pumpkins, for Halloween? LOL!!!

2 people like this post.
Gordon

Postby pethomes2u » 24 Apr 2013, 19:25

I grow tomatoes, strawberry, raspberry's and my favorite Chilli s. Taste so much better when they are your own.
pethomes2u

Postby iwilson » 28 Apr 2013, 16:33

I think everything tastes better when you have grown it yourself,
I am hoping I can persuade the kids to enjoys more veg now we have the space to grow it
iwilson

Postby Gordon » 28 Apr 2013, 17:34

Picked up a red currant & black currant tree from B&Q today, reduced to 75p each! A bit straggly, but worth a go for that price :grin:

likes this post.
Gordon

Postby iwilson » 28 Apr 2013, 20:26

I put in 2 x honeyberry plants today :)
ummmm'd and arrrrrrr'd about red currant but went for pinkberry and blueberry instead :)
but oooooooooooooo you did get a bargin ... wonder if our B&Q has them reduced too
iwilson

Postby Lily » 28 Apr 2013, 23:44

Runner beans is a firm favourite with us, trying cabbage and cauliflower for the first time. Beetroot and a bed of strawberries that's about it fot this year.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

likes this post.
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby kated » 29 Apr 2013, 18:59

Poundland has a good selection of gooseberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant plants - all £1 of course. Good value I thought.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 81 posts

Return to Grow Your Own