Does anyone cultivate mushrooms ?

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Does anyone cultivate mushrooms ?

Postby yorkshire duck » 09 Jul 2012, 11:30

As the title really; our family love mushrooms & as I always seem to be buying them I wondered if we could grow them ourselves ? They grow wild in our fields so it can't be that hard ( ? ) but the horses trample most of them before we get to them. We have loads of used compost & manure which I believe you grow them on ? I've seen kits on ebay but I think they're only good for one crop, ideally I'd like to grow them continually for however long their season is, & possibly out of season too ? I'm talking about bog standard ordinary mushrooms, nothing fancy, & in quantities for 1 mushroom hungry family & friends. Any advice would be gratefully recieved !
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.
yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Does anyone cultivate mushrooms ?

Postby NCOTB » 10 Jul 2012, 00:35

I got a mushroom kit from Wilko I think :scratch: got 2nd lot growing now, OH said they were very tasty. Would like to find something that produces more though as OH loves 'em.
NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 10 posts

Return to Grow Your Own