Is it still too early?

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it still too early?

Postby mattie2012 » 10 May 2012, 14:49

Hi all, anybody in wales or near to me started planting anything yet other than the hardier things like peas and beans?

I get really impatient with my Veg at this time of the year, I've started seeds off and have tomatoes and peppers, aubergine upstairs in the bedroom window. I'm just raring to go outside and plant stuff but my Dad (Who's an ex gardener for the council) just keeps saying to hold my horses and wait for the last frost! He's a right killjoy that bloke...Grr!!

I have some pink fur apple to try this year as the last potatoes didn't give much of a crop and I've always wanted to try the pink fur apple variety.

I've decided to try different things which I can make home-made soups and stu and stuff from, butter nut squash is something Im going to try and also a few pumpkins although I'm aware pumkin take a lot more of the room up than other stuff. The wife's just had a new freezer delivered 171 litres so bigger than the old one. I just need to fill it now. :)
mattie2012

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Is it still too early?

Postby darcyvuqua » 10 May 2012, 21:43

im in cardiff i have lettuce outside as well as carrot and beetroot seedling peas are going well they too are out side i have the same problem as you i have chillis peppers tomatoes all in the windows as i dont want a cold snap to kill them off all are flowering now im dying to start others off but what do i plant im due to move soon so not wanting to chance it
darcyvuqua

Postby mattie2012 » 10 May 2012, 22:20

If i were you Darcy I think i'd plant some seedlings inside of stuff that could perish in the frost. If push comes to shove and you have to move then you can always put the stuff in tubs and then plant it in your new Garden to start you off. I've planted carrots and beetroot as late as the end of june and still had a decent harvest off them. Just a thought!!
mattie2012

Postby Alchemist » 10 May 2012, 22:25

I haven't put anything out yet. I can't even get the bloody tomatoes to grow from seed in doors at the moment, I've really no idea why!

Cucumbers, carrots, broccoli courgette seem to to growing from seed ok so far though. It's my first year having a veg patch rather than just a few things in pots.
Alchemist

Postby mattie2012 » 11 May 2012, 00:12

I'm by no means a professional on fruit/veg but one of the things I've found with tomatoes is they flourish if watered to a routine. Don't let the seeds dry out in the seed tray first of all and if you get them to potting on size a good tip is to use some of the contents of your hoover bag or container if it's cyclone sort and add it to your compost as a feed. You get dry skin,hairs and all sorts of stuff that tomatoes thrive on in a hoover bag and it saves buying tomato feed.

I learned this off of my Dad and swear by it now. I hope he never reads this...he'll get big headed!!

Broccoli is one of the things I don't seem to have much luck with, maybe it's just the soil here but mine always seems to bolt before I can get to pinch the heads out.
mattie2012

Postby kated » 11 May 2012, 13:23

I put my tomato plants out in the greenhouse yesterday - they were already beginning to flower, so I am taking the chance that I will hear if there is going to be a frost and will get the horticultural fleece over them. I put leeks out at the end of March and they are at last beginning to grow. I also planted spinach beet at the same time and it is doing fine. I can't believe how late everything is this year - the trees are only just leafing up and my raspberry canes are just breaking bud.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby mattie2012 » 11 May 2012, 20:26

A friend of mine phoned earlier and she said that she put her tomatoes in the greenhouse and covered them with bubble wrap but the frost has got them. So it looks like I'm going to have 4 less plants now because she wants some of mine to replace them. Mine are in the bedroom safe with the oil filled radiator on. It must have dropped a lot last night.
mattie2012

Postby pethomes2u » 24 Apr 2013, 19:26

i dont trust this weather at the moment so no not yet but i will be doing in the next two/three weeks providing it doesnt snow :grin:
pethomes2u

Return to Grow Your Own