Glut !

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Glut !

Postby frank the troll » 05 Aug 2011, 14:23

I have a glut of courgettes and turnips, whats the best way to store these?
frank the troll

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Glut !

Postby Captain Carrot » 05 Aug 2011, 20:46

you may find this helpful

http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/how-dr ... grown.html

I've heard that a good way to store root vegtables is burried in sand, inside a wooden box in a shed or garage.

No idea about the courgettes, maybe pickled or cooked and then frozen.

I like to make a pasta sauce with them. i chop them up fairly small and throw them in a frying pan with plenty of garlic, salt and pepper. I cook them on a medium heat so they expel all the water and turn soft, but not browned.
Then when they've turned to a courgette mush, I add a handful of grated parmesan and a glug of cream.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby frank the troll » 06 Aug 2011, 16:47

Hi, thanks
Think I will have to pickle the courgettes, growing 1 or 2 on for marrow brandy, Toms a bit lacking this year, not really enough to combine for a pasta, unlike last year, thats lasted until now.

Have a big box in the garage, so looks like sand and sawdust then for the turnips, and swedes when ready
frank the troll

Postby frank the troll » 12 Sep 2011, 11:02

I now have gallons of marrow brandy, smells very potent, but will have to leave it for approx a year, Oh and jars of pickle that have turned out very tasty.
frank the troll

Postby organic chick » 25 Jan 2013, 17:04

A tad late for this perhaps, but I made courgette jam last year. I shredded I the courgettes with a large Coarse grater. Called it Summer Marmalade and it went down a treat!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Return to Grow Your Own