Natural, green, organic pest control in the veg plot.

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Paulfrompompey

Natural, green, organic pest control in the veg plot.

Post by Paulfrompompey » 30 May 2010, 12:50

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to put together a few tips on organic pest control.

Would anybody like to contribute?

I've heard that spent coffee grounds deter slugs 'n snails and that growing onions and carrotts close together minimises onion and carrot fly (companion planting?)

I'm reluctant to use any chemicals in the garden, so any tips to the organic method of fruit and veg pest control would be welcomed.

Kind regards to you all,

PFP.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Natural, green, organic pest control in the veg plot.

Post by kated » 30 May 2010, 18:56

African marigolds are great to keep carrot fly away and I grew some in the greenhouse to keep the white fly off the toms - it seemed to work.

trikelady

Post by trikelady » 14 Jun 2010, 13:27

crush up one or two garlic bulbs boil in water, 1 pint add rape seed oil, table spoon and a few drops of washing up liquid. leave to cool, drain. use this as a spray for white/black fly.

Woodburner

Post by Woodburner » 16 Jun 2010, 13:12

Sacrificial plants, physical barriers, flowers to attract beneficial insects, (the use of scented plants, like lavender and rosemary, to deter pests may have been debunked on nature watch a couple of nights ago, but they are good to grow anyway) and avoiding monoculture all help.

lazaf

Post by lazaf » 16 Jun 2010, 14:16

I agree with the marigolds which can be obtained cheaply as plug plants from any garden centre) Intersperced with veg they are a great deterrent to all manner of nasties. i think that this is what saved my courgettes last year.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 16 Jun 2010, 18:21

bran also helps keep slugs at bay ,well they sort of get fat and don't move
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

stardaisy

Post by stardaisy » 19 Jun 2010, 17:01

I find that physical barriers for brassicas are essential - good quality butterfly netting or insect mesh is the only way I get to eat any of my crops myself. Last year I left one small bed of broccoli uncovered and it was completely decimated by cabbage whites.

Selecting resistant varieties of seed - I'm particularly thinking of the flyaway/resistafly etc carrot varieties to limit damage by carrot root flies. I've tried rows of marigolds in between rows of carrots in the past too, with some success.

The biological pest control products are also worth looking into: http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog ... 0fc87644cf

And the organic slug pellets for areas with major slug problems: http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog ... ts_id=2599

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 29 Jun 2010, 18:23

A good way to keep slugs and snails off things is to either entirely surround the edge of the bed with copper pipe (copper does nasty things to them - I assume) or surround your crops with crushed eggshells (should have plenty around if you've got chooks) The eggshells only work if it's a thick continous layer though. Any gaps and they'll sneak through. The spikiness makes it uncomfy for them to go over.

impis

Post by impis » 30 Jun 2010, 05:09

Our raised beds [we're a school] are higher than the cabbage fly can fly [apparently], and therefore we shouldn't get a problem with them. [I'm not altogether convinced - surely the wind could carry one over the top]. Anyway - no sign of a problem so far. [3 years of growing]. Crop rotation, will help too.

Tagetes attracts lots of hover flies - which in turn eat aphids.

Aaleyah14

Post by Aaleyah14 » 15 May 2012, 12:39

A organic material known as milky spore can be propagate across the lawn where it can be found in delay for beetle grubs that it can contaminate with a dangerous condition that eliminates them before they become beetles. As this spore is propagate across the lawn and is said to stay efficient for up to 40 decades, this is something that you are only ever going to have to do once.

Venice Pest Control

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 16 May 2012, 12:07

2 words

Neem Oil.

Inconclusive against red-mite, but I can assure you, it will destroy any insect that comes into contact with the plant. It's systemic so will remain in the plant and to some degree also provide nutrients to the plants. Completely organic, natural, effective, insects don't become immune to it, only downside being, it smells absolutely foul.

Mix a tablespoon per litre of warm water (to help dissipation of the oil), with a drop of horticultural soap to break surface tension (organic washing up liquid will do) and spray liberally every 3 days to both sides of all the leaves if you have a problem (to break any breeding cycles), and every 14 days as a preventative measure.

It works, believe me. After doing battle with spider mites in a greenhouse for an entire season, I can assure you it's the only thing that works.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 30 Mar 2013, 23:01

seems like this is an old thread but i make use of garlic granules.You can buy big bags (3 kgs) from the local saddlery. I use it liberally along rows of carrot , on newly sown brassica seed it seems to stop the flea beetle and the best £35 I have spent was for a 50 metre x 3 metre roll of scaffolding (debris ) netting. We make tunnels over water pipe ribs to keep the cabbage whites and wood pigeons off our brassicas and it has been useful too as a wind break and roof over the poultry run.Not water proof of course but keeps the wild birds out.
I am thinking that I might use DE around my salad crops this year ,I'm sure it will keep the slugs and snails repelled.I'll let y'all know.
My greenhouse is full to bursting with seedlings even though I started late. Our soil is now very dry and we could get on with the rotavator if it wernt in ICU.