Weeds

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Weeds

Postby organic chick » 25 Jun 2015, 18:24

OK fellow allotmenteers and gardeners,

My knee is giving severe jip and weeding is now an issue. :roll: Although we grow all our crops organically i think the time has come to consider an effective but as kind as possible spray to our many paths. What does everyone recommend?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Weeds

Postby Fast Farmer » 25 Jun 2015, 20:56

Weeds have occupied my entire day today.........spot spraying docs in a field......pack on back........... dressed like a Tellytubby :roll:

The best for killing just about everything (which is needed in your case) including the roots is Roundup, 5lts ready to spray will cost around £6 ish from a garden centre. "Noises" have been made in the World Health Organisation recently regarding the product so don marigolds and follow the guidelines. You'll find there are a number of makes of weedkillers that contain the same active ingredient as in Roundup which is Glyphosate.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... lyphosate-
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Henwife » 30 Jun 2015, 07:06

A backpack sprayer is worth every penny of its cost - around £30. It's chepaer to buy Roundup to dilute rather than the pre-mix - and the stuff in a trigger spray bottle is hell on he hands. If you buy Glyphosate as glyposate, check the dilution rates carefully - I have found it cheaper to use roundup than the much cheaper own brand glyphosate. Apart from wearing wellies because I invariably walk in treated areas, I take no other precautions. Of course, if you can get the professional strength stuff, additional precautions might be necessary - probably a space suit which will kill you from heat exhaustion!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby drfish » 01 Jul 2015, 16:12

I had the pro stuff once to completely kill the back garden, grass, weeds, ivy, the lot. Did a sterling job, but I suited and booted to do it, and kept the animals and kids well away until about 2 weeks after. Turf then laid fantastically well on it and established within a few weeks. But as said, it's proper nasty stuff, so be wary and use precaution.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Fast Farmer » 19 Jul 2015, 00:35

And.............Organic Chick ?
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Return to Grow Your Own