Marrow Brandy

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

Marrow Brandy

Postby frank the troll » 25 Sep 2011, 17:39

Ingredients:
3 large marrows
1 kilo brown sugar
yeast (high acl yeast)

take 2 marrows, take the tops off and scope out and chop up the insides, mix this with half the sugar and put back into the marrows
use a swewer and pierce 2 3 times through the bottom of marrows
hang in muslim clothes, and let juice drain in a couble of jars (collect juice and put into demi johns)

as the stuffing goes down in the marrows, use the last marrow and chop up completely and use as and when needed (daily)
keep filling the two marrows with layers of chopped marrow and sugar
you can use more sugar if you run out
when marrows start getting too soft, stop re-filling, and leave to get as much juice as possible
when finnished discard marrows
all you need to do now is add yeast to the juice and leave for a good 3 months

After this add fermtation stopper if you want, and or 1 campden tablet per gallon
leave for at least six months, the longer the better, and then bottle

Caution: This stuff is LEATHAL
I made two gallons using the above method, have fun :evil:

Havnt tried running the car on it yet
frank the troll

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Marrow Brandy

Postby clairebear » 29 Sep 2011, 12:42

ooohhh! Thats how you make it then! I am over run with marrows can't eat them/ give them away fast enough and keep being told about doing this but no recipe to work from, so neighbour has experimented with a couple but the results were a bit scary!! I shall give this a go at the weekend. What with this and my damson vodka the winter months will be a bit more merry!!!! Thank You.
clairebear

Postby frank the troll » 01 Oct 2011, 14:06

clairebear wrote:ooohhh! Thats how you make it then! I am over run with marrows can't eat them/ give them away fast enough and keep being told about doing this but no recipe to work from, so neighbour has experimented with a couple but the results were a bit scary!! I shall give this a go at the weekend. What with this and my damson vodka the winter months will be a bit more merry!!!! Thank You.

Yo clairbear, your welcome
What! no sloe vodka
also try this, 3 or 4 crushed green cardamon and leave in vodka, keep tasting until you get to a strenght your happy with.
Have you tried black banana wine?

:)
frank the troll

Postby clairebear » 02 Oct 2011, 22:17

I make damson vodka cus the damsons grow in abundence down the lane next to where i keep my horse so they are free-but the real bonus is the vodka damsons you are left with when you strain off the vodka!! I keep these in a large jar and eat on their own like sweets- better than chocolate lequers any day. Now i need you to explain the cordamon vodka thing, is it just the taste thing??? Banana wine sounds interesting but i'm a rubbish wine maker is it simple, cus it needs to be for me to have a go. Oh by the way had to work all weekend so marrow brandy will have to wait until later in week.
clairebear

Postby frank the troll » 04 Oct 2011, 12:40

Yep, cardamon is just a taste thing, quite different but surprisinly good
Black banana, easy
10 manky bananas, chop up, including skin, add to pan with 1 kilo sugar
simmer for ten mins (will look like grey sludge, but will clear to an orange colour)
cool and add to demi
add yeast, and wait, when finnished and clear add 1 camden tablet, disloved in a little water, wait some more and either bottle or keep in demi

Marrow, now have 2 naighbours making their own lol
frank the troll

Postby kated » 07 Oct 2011, 17:10

My dad tried to make this around 60 years ago - he never got to drink any as we kids scoffed the "drippings" every morning. It took him ages to realise what was happening :lol:
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 81 posts

Return to Recipes