Pickled Eggs Anyone?

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fenn » 04 Mar 2007, 23:02

Clucky - Wild Thyme on Castle Street sell allspice berries. I've bought whole juniper berries there in the past as well :D

I just put boiled eggs in jars and tip malt vinegar over them - works for me :twisted:

In recent years I've worked in two pubs that did roaring trades in pickled eggs and they both did the same thing - for 50p you got a bag of crisps (flavour of your choice!) with a pickled egg dropped into it - yum :D

One was a real 'Local' pub in the middle of nowhere and the other was a town centre studenty type - pickled eggs transcend all known social boundaries :D
Fenn

Liked in: 1 post

Postby rubychik » 04 Mar 2007, 23:06

clucky, would OH not give curried eggs a go?
rubychik

Postby Clucky » 05 Mar 2007, 19:28

rubychik wrote:clucky, would OH not give curried eggs a go?

His first response would be :puke:

then it would be :puke: :puke:

:lol:

I adore pickled eggs.....they always remind me of a trip we did with our mum and dad when we were kids and we got locked out of the car and had to wait for the AA.....but we had the picnic basket and pickled eggs :D
Clucky

Postby rubychik » 06 Mar 2007, 14:10

I like the eggs themselves but would prefer not to have the vinegary part....so basically prefer hard-boiled eggs :roll:
rubychik

Re: Pickled Eggs Anyone?

Postby NannyP » 29 Aug 2010, 21:20

Okay, so having decided they're not too bad, I would like some more information please.

I made some the other night, cider vinegar, beetroot juice (not quite enough) onions, 3 cloves, brown sugar.
They taste okay, and the colour's not great. Maybe more (correct quantity) would make them a better colour.

So, 3 days on, they taste okay, but look like they're beginning to break down, cracks as if they still have shells on.

So, how long will they last, I am thinking of doing a large amount in my big kilner jar. Want them for the winter when eggs have become few and far between.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby subruss » 30 Aug 2010, 13:19

I pickle eggs all the time, best way is to experiment with flavours you think you will like, I have just done some ginger pickled eggs,the only difference is you put herbs,spices or anything else you fancy into the vinagar bring to boil and then simmer for 10 mins this is to infuse the flavour of whatever you have put in, and ensures an even distribution of the flavours on the eggs, I even colour them ie red blue green etc looks good on a salad table and the kids even have a try with the coloured one,s then they are trapped for life,loving or hating them.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby NannyP » 30 Aug 2010, 13:52

Okay, thanks for that...I will think about different flavours (cloves is not a favourite of mine). Garlic might be nice, I have some walnut vinegar which might be nice too.

Will do some more in a few days time.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 19 Apr 2014, 17:36

How did I find THIS thread!

Anyway... I have never eaten a pickled egg although I have had salad with egg in that has had a vinegar dressing and I didn't balk at the taste so.... I may just give pickling ago!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby jillychick » 19 Apr 2014, 19:07

I just luvvvvvvv pickled eggs yummy :bounce:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 19 Apr 2014, 20:48

aren't they all soggy and fner... lol
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby jillychick » 19 Apr 2014, 20:58

No just the same as boiled but taste pickled our local chip shop sells them but they are not as nice as home made
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Previous

Return to Recipes