Ice Cream

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby summayah » 01 Jun 2005, 17:38

yes, it's one of the way we can help out isn't it. I'm still trying to train myself to use the google search at the top of the pages. I use google a lot but apparently if we use the one on this site they pay money into the coffers as well...but it's so hard for me to remember.
summayah

Liked in: 1 post

Postby stephen » 01 Jun 2005, 18:38

We've been having Rolo ice cream and Munchie ice cream (tonight is crunchie). :) Use the standard cream base and add to it.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby NannyP » 01 Jun 2005, 18:58

Whatever you make, if it's with your own eggs, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Ice cream maker you're purchasing, sounds like mine, and it is fine for our needs :lol:
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby George » 01 Jun 2005, 19:23

Hi all,

This is Pat, George' OH, He's allowed me on the PC.

Is there an ice cream recipe that doesn't require milk?

I have a good friend who is allergic to a numerous amount of products, she also suffers from asthma which is made worse if she eats even the smallest amount of manufactured ice cream.

She loves ice cream and I would love to be able to make some that she could eat.

Thanks
George

Postby summayah » 01 Jun 2005, 21:01

Is she allergic to all milk or just cows ? Maybe it could be made with goats milk ~ don't know about soya ~ stephen will know better than anyone. Hope he comes along soon to help out
summayah

Postby George » 01 Jun 2005, 21:13

I know she can have soya, but not sure about other milk :cry:
George

Postby stephen » 01 Jun 2005, 21:36

Well in "The Definitive Guide" it says

'always use full cream milk with a minimum fat content of 4%. Do not use skimmed, long life or ultra pasteurised milk as these upset the flavour and texture of the ices'

In several places it goes on again about the fat content - that seems to be the critical thing, not what type of milk it is. The fat is important to stop large ice crystals forming.

I have found a specific recipe for Goat's Milk Ice Cream.

375ml goat milk
100g sugar
3 egg yolks
185ml of whipping cream

The proportions don't look majorly different to standard ice cream - the fat content is the critical thing. If you can get the fat content up enough, it'll be fine.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby George » 01 Jun 2005, 21:53

Thanks Stephen,

I have managed to get a text message back from her the only milk she can have is soya which appears to about 2% fat :cry:

I'll have a look about at the weekend, if I'm not meshing the chicken run

Pat
George

Postby stephen » 01 Jun 2005, 22:03

George wrote:I have managed to get a text message back from her the only milk she can have is soya which appears to about 2% fat :cry:

It'll just be more grainy - I'll have a better read through and see what else it suggests to make it more smooth.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby George » 01 Jun 2005, 22:12

I done a google search using the search box at the top of page for ice cream with soya milk and there were a number of sites, I have to be especially careful when doing anything for her as she has hypersensitivity level 1 & 2, which basically means that she is allergic to most things that contain E Nos, nuts, melon, anything with sunset yellow in (that's butter etc).

In saying all that we went to Mardi Gras in Sydney in 2002 and had three great weeks eating out etc, I just checked with the chefs what they were using and asked that they ensured that there was no chance of cross contamination. The Austrailians are great about things like that, they all asked if I wanted to inspect the kitchens.

It's too hot over there for George though so doubt I'll go again :'(
George

Postby nigel » 01 Jun 2005, 22:16

I don't think you'd get a similar response in the UK Pat :(
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby summayah » 01 Jun 2005, 22:16

what about the cream though, would she be allowed to have that? If she can, wouldn't it mean just having a higher ratio of cream to milk to keep the total fat content up?
Ignore me, if I'm talking through my hat ~ newbie ice cream person that I am.
summayah

Postby jaydee67 » 01 Jun 2005, 22:17

non dairy vanilla ice cream:

2 teaspoons kosher gelatin

1/4 cup apple juice

1/4 cup honey

3-1/4 cups vanilla soy milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together honey and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes about 1 quart.

V PER 1/2 CUP SERVING: 123 CAL (16% FROM FAT), 3g PROT, 2g FAT, 22g CARB, 58mg SOD, 0mg CHOL, 0.6g FIBER

non dairy strawberry ice cream:

2 teaspoons kosher gelatin

1/4 cup apple-stawberry juice

2/3 cup all-fruit strawberry jam

3 cups vanilla soy milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together jam and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and vanilla; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled.

3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Chocolate tofu ice cream

Chocolate Tofu Ice Cream

MAKES 5 CUPS EGG- & DAIRY-FREE

You'd never guess that this rich, dense, fudgy ice cream contains considerably less fat than the classic version.

1 lb. soft tofu, drained
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain soy milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. In blender, puree all ingredients in 2 equal batches until very smooth.

2. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Serve right away or transfer to airtight container and freeze up to 3 days.

PER 1/2-CUP SERVING: 126 CAL.; 3G PROT.; 2G TOTAL FAT (0 SAT. FAT); 25G CARB.; 0 CHOL.; 25MG SOD.; 1G FIBER

Others:

http://www.sendicecream.com/nonicecreamr.html
http://www.sendicecream.com/recformaksor.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_2000_August/ai_63902652
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby summayah » 01 Jun 2005, 22:19

well done Julia
summayah

Postby George » 01 Jun 2005, 22:30

you bet Nigel, she hates going out with me; she can take a tablet before eating food (the preparation of which is unknown) which is suppose to stop any allergic reaction; however I have this firm believe that if you take tablets for something like you reduce the bodies immunity, so I always ask. We were out one night George, Jane and myself, I was extremely tired and when I am tired my tolerence level is zero, we'd oredered drinks and I had expressly said that we didn't want lemon (another thing Jane' allergic to) when they delivered the drinks there was a slice of lemon split across the glass. I thought that I was polite but firm when I asked for the glass to removed immediately and a fresh one returned without being near a lemon. George informed me that I was infact rude to the waitress, I did apologise when she returned. But when you are dealing with someones life and she has been my best friend for 20 years I think I'm allowed to be touchy..

Summayah - that makes two of us, we haven't even ordered one yet. depending on who can eat what we can make will reflect on how much we spend on buying one.

I thought keeping Chickens would be cheap, two new shed bases a chicken run, ice cream maker what next? #-o ](*,)
George

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes