bread

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

bread

Postby debcat » 10 Aug 2007, 18:01

tricia(mrs mojo) makes super bread to this recipe regulally.........350gh loose flour(your choice).........210ml warm water........5gm salt....5grm sugar..........4or5grm dried yeast...........1 egg broken.......1 teaspoon of oil(try nut oil)........in the bread maker on normal and light crust setting............out of this world.
Last edited by debcat on 16 Apr 2008, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby debcat » 16 Apr 2008, 13:30

Crazypianolady's hot cross bun loaf
either 750g or 1kg

This is for a breadmaker, but will easily adapt to a hand or mixer version. (Program 4, or the sweet bread setting on your breadmaker)

Ingredients 750g 1kg
Semi-skimmed milk 175 ml 280 ml
Eggs (medium) 2 2
Strong white bread flour 450g 600g
Salt 1/2 tsp 1 tsp
Golden caster sugar 50g 60g
Butter 50g 60g
Mixed spice 1 tbsp 4 tsp
Dried yeast 1 1/2 tsp 2 tsp
Add fruit at alert :- 3:00 3:05
Luxury dried mixed fruit,
chopped 100g 150g
Cut mixed peel 25g 25g
Glace cherries, chopped 25g 25g

Method

Add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed in the above recipe. The fruit should be added at the time stated in the recipe, when the alert sounds.

Glaze with a little golden syrup while the bread is still warm.

Tip

tsp = 5ml teaspoon
tbsp = 15ml tablespoon
debcat

Postby debcat » 03 Oct 2008, 18:07

Auntienoos hot cross bun recipe

1 1/2 tsp yeast
450g bread flour (I use half white half wholemeal)
1/2 tsp salt
50g castor sugar (you can easily use less if you watch your sugar intake, 30g is ok)
50g butter
2 eggs (have they laid enough yet?)
1 tbsp mixed spice ( or 3/4 mixed spice and 1/4 cinamon)
150g dried fruit, i only use raisons cos that's what I tend to have but I think anything would work
175ml semi skimmed milk.

bake on white bread setting, i usually set it for the largest size cos it rises like................ well you can use your imagination!

Eat warm with butter and I bet it doesn't last 10 minutes.
debcat

Postby MamaOwl » 03 Oct 2008, 19:32

evil!!!!!!

**scribbles down recipes**
MamaOwl

Liked in: 1 post

Postby debcat » 04 Oct 2008, 10:41

Big D's Really simple bread recipe

Really simple bread recipe

1kg of strong white flour
2 t-spoons of salt
3 t-spoons of white sugar
(you can put more sugar in which makes it crustier)
3 table spoons of oil or marg or butter
Around 250 to 300ml of warm water
2 sachets of dried yeast.

Mix flour,sugar,salt,yeast and fat together. Slowly add the water so you get a nice workable dough. Knead for 5 minutes* Leave to rise in a warm area until it doubles in size. Bake in oven around 200 oc for approx 40 minutes. When cooked take it out of the loaf tin or of the baking sheet and rest it for 10 minutes on a cooling rack.

*A lot easier if you use a mixer!!!
debcat

Postby Dusty » 28 Oct 2008, 19:59

Whilst recuperating after operation I became a proper housewife (OH says about time :shock: )

I tried loads of new recipes and even a cake :lol:

I also dug out my breadmaker and we've enjoyed home made bread again.

Nothing to beat it :lol:
Dusty
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Re: bread

Postby Big D » 14 Mar 2009, 13:23

Been adding half a jar of honey to my bread recipe and using stone-ground wholemeal flour as well. WOW.
If you toast it the day after it smells of warm honey. :tongue3: (obviously #-o )

Customers like it as I already have orders for 6 loaves on Monday morning.

Got a honey fad going on right now as I also made Pork ,oat and honey sausages this week. I wouldn't say they were better than sex, but a bl**dy good substitute :lol: :lol:
Big D

Postby milkmaid » 15 Mar 2009, 12:45

i'm going to try with my new bread maker today ali had 2 goes yesterday and they were not very succesful we got it off freecycle ;) ,i'm trying to spend less money on lunch ,made a feta and olive thingy and freash bread is a must to go with it ;)
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby Gilly C » 15 Mar 2009, 14:21

feta and olives are good added to the bread too, my fave is ciabatta with olives in :lol:
Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Matildanz » 16 Mar 2009, 08:35

Milkmaid.......... My breadmaker doesn't make very successful loaves either, so I just use it for the kneading and resting stage - then I shape and rise it by hand. Takes a little longer but my breadmaker would just be gathering dust otherwise! :grin:
Matildanz

Postby Big D » 16 May 2009, 10:38

Breaking News..............Guess who's bread will soon be sold in a local Supermarket? :occasion7:
Guess who's bread is selling so fast he has to do three bakes of eight loaves a day just for the Cafe?
Guess who's starting to panic as he is running out of room/ ovens / hands :lol:

Just started making Garlic, Onion and thyme bread.....niiiiiice :grin:
Big D

Postby CP » 16 May 2009, 10:41

Great news Big D! =D> =D>
My breadmaker's just collecting dust.... :oops:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby crazypianolady » 16 May 2009, 11:09

Well done Big D!

I used to use my breadmaker lots - then OH retired and I've not been able to get near it since.................... :lol: :lol:
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby Dusty » 08 Jul 2009, 20:41

Big D can we have some recipes please?

Guess that's why you've got a big tum (avatar) :roll: Must be why mines getting that way too cos I love bread #-o
Dusty
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Big D » 10 Jul 2009, 22:48

My pleasure. The basic bread recipe is a few posts up and the weights are a little more domestic friendly.

However I have developed/refined the recipes a bit since my original post. Dropped the amount of sugar used etc and have now settled on olive oil as the fat content.

Basic White - will give you 4 loaves 800g+ when baked and cooled.

2.3kg of strong white
2 table spoons of salt
1 table spoon of sugar
100ml of olive oil
4 packets of instant yeast (Allinson's seems to have less additives )
1300ml of warm water

Mix all dry ingredients and olive oil together (best done in a Kenwood etc but hands are just as reliable)) Slowly add the water into the mix, using the dough hook, until a nice soft dough is formed. Knead for 3 minutes/ 10 minutes if using your hands.
Divide, shape and place the dough in loaf tins. Leave to double in size and then bake in a medium oven - about 40 mins. When cooked take out of the tin or baking tray and place on a wire cooling rack to settle for 20 minutes.
You can place the dough in its loaf tins in the fridge, straight after mixing, where it will still rise but slower, and then more so in the oven. Take out of the fridge and bake off when you want fresh bread :grin: (Great if you have people staying)

Garlic Herb and Onion - Same mix but add 1 large finely chopped raw onion. 100 to 200g of garlic puree and a table-spoon of mixed Italian herbs before adding the water.

Ploughman's - Same mix but with 1 large finely chopped onion and a good sized jar of Branston's before adding the water. Half way through baking, sprinkle some grated cheddar on top of the loaf.

Beetroot and Cheese - Same mix but add 400g of pickled or roasted or poached diced up beetroot and 400g of grated cheddar and a good table-spoon of rosemary before adding the water. The raw dough does go pink but will bake out. I prefer the pickled beet, I think it gives a bit of zing to the flavour.

The flavoured bread doesn't rise as high or as fluffy as a basic white (as it's heavier)
And keep an eye on the amount of water as you may need less due to wet ingredients.

Basic Brown - Substitute 1.3kg of strong white flour for wholemeal of brown flour.
Honeyed Brown - Instead of sugar add 4 tablespoons of honey for a rich back taste.
Big D

Next

Return to Recipes