Good Goat books

Got a recommended book for other chicken keepers - suggest it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Good Goat books

Postby lesleysprite » 21 Oct 2010, 08:45

Hi, I am intending to start keeping goats (mainly dairy, may be one or two for their coats eventually) and want to find some really good books, has anyone any recommendations? I quite often find when I pick a book I think sounds good or has good reviews on Amazon I get it and find it's a bit light and basic...so any suggestions for a nice information dense book? Thanks a lot,

Lesley
lesleysprite

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Good Goat books

Postby milkmaid » 21 Oct 2010, 10:18

mine are dairy ,i love goat husbandry by david mackenzie ,it's an older book one i have been recommemded
isDiseases of the Goat by Matthews, John G.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diseases-Goat-Mat ... 5adc6f5e99
heavy weight reading but worth it's money i'm told
i've changed my husbandry techniques to treating them like a milking cow after a dissgusion with a goat breeder and my vet and i've got litres of milk in the fridge :grin: \:D/ :shock: ,i'm just wondering what to do with it all
what type are you thinking of getting
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby goatlady » 21 Oct 2010, 15:07

I started with "Practical Goat Keeping" by Alan Mowlem. Given what you say, it might not be heavyweight enough for you, but I found it a good introduction when I was new to goat-keeping, and I still refer to it sometimes now. The quality of the photos in it is truly awful, by the way, but the advice is sound. If I have a particular problem now I tend to trawl the internet for information and advice.

Good luck. Enjoy your goats, when you get them. :)
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby lesleysprite » 24 Oct 2010, 12:06

Hi, thanks a lot for the tips!
Haven't decided what breed of goat yet -your opinions would be welcome!

Lesley
lesleysprite

Liked in: 1 post

Postby goatlady » 24 Oct 2010, 13:40

Like breeds of chicken, this is a very personal choice. My girls are Alpines and the billy is Pyrenean, which is the local breed. I love them all. I think the best thing is to try to visit some places, see the different breeds, and see which one you like best.

Bear in mind that even an average dairy goat can give quite a lot of milk. I have three, and found that when the babies left I had far more milk than I really needed. I have frozen loads to use over the winter, but it takes up a lot of freezer space.

You need to have two, at the very least. One on its own would be miserable.

Let us know what kind you get.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 30 posts

Return to Recommended Books